Ben Ungermann of MasterChef is absent from the final after being charged with alleged sexual assault
MasterChef fans note Ben Ungermann’s absence in the final after he was charged with the alleged sexual assault of a teenage girl
The MasterChef 2020 cast returned to the kitchen on Monday night to watch Laura Sharrad and Emelia Jackson compete in the grand finale.
But eagle-eyed viewers quickly noticed that former star Ben Ungermann was nowhere to be seen in the portal.
The 34-year-old was absent when the 24 other chefs returned to support the two finalists. The only other absentee was Brendan Pang, who was unable to travel from Perth to Melbourne due to state border closures.
Away: MasterChef fans noticed Ben Ungermann’s absence on Monday night after he was charged with the alleged sexual assault of a teenage girl
Everyone is back. Except Ben, ”one fan tweeted. “Has anyone seen Ben yet? #MasterChefAU, “asked another.
“Just curious … Is Ben Ungermann there?” wrote a third viewer. “Does anyone know where Ben Ungermann is?” a fourth questioned.
Several people asked ‘Where’s Ben?’, But it is possible that they were funny because the circumstances of his departure from the competition were widely reported.
“Where’s Ben?” Eagle-eyed viewers quickly noticed and pointed to Ungermann’s absence from the show
Ungermann was charged with two counts of sexual assault on March 6, after an alleged incident in Melbourne’s Docklands on February 23 involving a 16-year-old girl.
At the time, he was filming the latest series MasterChef – but was removed from the competition as soon as the producers heard of his arrest.
On March 20, it was first reported that Ungermann had been arrested.
At the time, an Endemol Shine spokesperson described his arrest as “of a personal nature,” but did not provide further details.
Case: Ungermann was charged on March 6 with two sexual assaults following an alleged incident in Melbourne’s Docklands on February 23 involving a 16-year-old girl
He was expected to appear before the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on June 25, but he is said to have been detained in Queensland and was not present at the web hearing.
His lawyer Sarah Condon told the Melbourne Magistrates Court via a video link that Ungermann intended to fight the charges.
Court documents state that the police allege that Ungermann has intentionally touched his alleged child victim without her permission – and he knew it – at least three times.
Competition: At the time, he filmed the latest series MasterChef – but was removed from the competition as soon as the producers heard of his arrest