1996 Makes AFL debut with West Coast and named the league’s Rising Star
2001 – Appointed captain of the West Coast at the age of 23
2002 – He breaks his arm falling down a nightclub staircase months after hitting his teammate Daniel Kerr
2005 – (May) Questioned by police about association with underworld identities
– (September) Wins Brownlow Medal as the AFL’s Best and Fairest Player
Cousins after the 2006 AFL Grand Final
2006 – (February) Swims across a river in Perth to escape a liquor bus
– (September) Wins AFL Eagles Premiership
– (December) Is arrested after passing out in front of the Crown Casino in Melbourne and spends four hours in prison
2007 – (March) Suspended by West Coast after missed training session
– (April) Goes to rehab in the US.
– (October) Revealed that he visited fellow Eagles legend Chris Mainwaring twice the night he died of a drug overdose
– (October) Arrested and charged with drug offenses that are later dropped
– (November) Finally fired by West Coast and banned from the AFL for a year
2008 AFL re-registers Cousins and he gets signed by Richmond
2010 – Retires from the AFL, but releases autobiography and documentary
Cousins has been charged with drug possession and refusing a drug test in 2007, but the charges were later dropped
2015 – Arrested three times before leading police on a slow chase in the car
2016 – (June) Spotted behaving erratically and directing traffic on a highway
– (October) In and out of court for drug offenses and violation of a restraining order from his ex-partner
2018 – (January) Released from prison on parole, just 10 months after his sentence
He takes on a support role with the West Coast Eagles – a requirement of his parole terms
– (May): Reports indicate that he has not been seen in the club for a month
The club confirms that it told officials in April that he no longer wanted the job
– (August) Arrested and charged with possession of drugs and a restraining order violation
2019 – (February) He was fined $ 1,750 for meth possession and clogging in his anus while in prison
(March) Cousins pleaded not guilty to 14 offenses in court, including violating a domestic violence restraining order and a count of each aggravated stalking and threatening to injure, endanger or harm
(April) Cousins is arrested in Perth with a Cousins released from prison after eight months on bail.
2020 – (March) Tell-all documentary Coming Clean takes to the air – Cousins talks about his meth addiction and time behind bars.
(April) Cousins is arrested in Perth after allegedly being caught with 2.5 grams of methamphetamine while sleeping next to his car.
He is taken into custody after being found guilty of methamphetamine possession and fined $ 1,500.
He is also accused of aggravated stalking of his ex-partner, Maylea Tinecheff.
(October) Cousins pleads not guilty to aggravated stalking and 20 counts of violating a domestic violence restraining order regarding his ex-partner.
(November) He has been convicted of stalking his ex-partner, but acquitted by a Perth court for violation of the restraining order. He was sentenced to seven months in prison, backdated to April.
He will be released from Hakea prison at the end of November.