Bayern Munich sporting director keeps stern stance on future of striker Robert Lewandowski
‘Our position is clear’: sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic ‘expects’ Robert Lewandowski to return to training despite Barcelona’s interest … as he insists new signing Sadio Mane will not replace striker or Serge Gnabry
- Robert Lewandowski wants to go to Barcelona because he is looking for a new start
- However, Bayern Munich are determined to keep their Polish striker
- The club just confirmed the signing of Liverpool’s Sadio Mane
- Lewandowski is under contract with the Bundesliga champions until next summer
Bayern Munich sports director Hasan Salihamidzic remains strict on Robert Lewandowski’s future and says he expects to see the Polish striker back in training on July 12.
Lewandowski has been heavily linked with a move to Barcelona, with reports that the Catalan giants could make a £43 million bid for their number one summer target.
As reported by German publication pictureBayern’s sporting director has insisted that the club has a clear stance on his future and that new signing Sadio Mane has not been brought in to replace him.
Robert Lewandowski of Bayern Munich wants to go to Barcelona because he is looking for a new start
Sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic has halted talks over a move to the Catalan side
“Our position is clear: Robert has a contract until the summer of 2023,” Salihamidzic insisted.
When asked about the reports suggesting Barcelona are ready to make an offer for Lewandowski, he added: “I’m not thinking about that. I expect to see Robert train in Sabener Strasse on July 12th.’
The Bundesliga side confirmed the £35.1 million signing of Liverpool’s Mane on Wednesday, after six successful years at Anfield.
As with Lewandowski, winger Serge Gnabry’s future is in the air.
The 26-year-old is also under contract with Germany until the summer of 2023 and is linked with a transfer.
Salihamidzic insists new signing Sadio Mane is not a replacement for Lewandowski
Salihamidzic insists, however, that Mane is not a replacement for Lewandowski or Gnabry.
He said: ‘We signed Sadio to increase the competition in our team. We were not happy with our departure in the Champions League against Villarreal. We want to strengthen the battle for places in our team.
Mane’s signing will reshuffle the cards for every attacking player. We never thought of letting a player go when we signed Sadio.”
33-year-old Lewandowski, who scored 50 goals in 46 appearances for Bayern last season, is looking for a new challenge after becoming disillusioned with his life at the Allianz Arena.
Last weekend it was reported that Lewandowski turned down the chance to go to Chelsea, suggesting that Barcelona is his destination of choice.
Mane is also not seen as a replacement for Serge Gnabry who is also linked elsewhere
Barcelona have made Lewandowski their number one priority in the summer period
Last week, members of Barcelona voted to sell part of its retail arm, Barcelona Licensing and Merchandising by the club. [BLM]and a portion of his future TV rights revenue, to raise money to boost Xavi’s team this summer.
The sale of 49.9 percent of BLM was approved by 568 votes in favour, 65 against and 13 abstentions.
The sale of up to 25 percent of the TV rights for 25 years was given the green light by 494 voting members in favour, 62 against and again 13 abstentions.
President Joan Laporta said the deals could raise between £512 million and £598 million, something that would help the Catalan giants in their hunt for Lewandowski.