A horrific house fire that killed twin girls has been ruled as an accident by police after the sisters playfully locked themselves inside the house before catching fire.
Three-year-olds Aisha and Lailani died after their house in Batlow, southern New South Wales, was set on fire around 11 a.m.
Their mother Tanyka Ford, 29, had caught the girls playing with a pillow set on fire by a house fireplace.
When Mrs. Ford brought the cushion to the front yard to put it out, the girls locked the door behind her.
The mother, along with her six-year-old son Dominic, was forced to watch their house catch fire – with the twins still inside.
Chief Inspector Bob Noble said on Thursday that the deaths had been accidental – despite despicable trolls making “unhelpful” speculations as to the cause.
Three-year-olds Aisha and Lailani died after their home in Batlow was flooded around 11am on Monday
It is believed that the fire was started by a wood fire and by the time firefighters arrived and pushed their way in, it was too late to save the girls
“I feel as comfortable as I can be that it has been a tragic accident or an unfortunate incident that in many other cases probably wouldn’t have led to such catastrophic results,” he told reporters on Thursday.
At the time of the tragedy, Ms. Ford had tried to break through the window, but she had cuts on her arms.
Firemen managed to enter the premises, but it was too late to save the toddlers.
“Mommy’s beautiful babies. I miss you more than words can describe now. I am absolutely upset and hate myself for not being able to help anymore, ”said Ford.
“I don’t know how I could ever understand how this could have happened, let this be a terrible mistake, please tell me my babies okay.
“The pain is unbearable.”
The twins’ aunt, Tammy Dubois, lives in the same small town and says she is constantly remembered by the tragedy.
“I see it every time I walk away. When I look out my window, I see it, everywhere I look, I see it and it breaks my heart again, ” she told The Daily Advertiser.
The twins had played with a pillow set on fire by a fireplace while their mother went out to put it out
“It just doesn’t seem like this is real life. It’s like something out of a movie or something, you can’t believe it happened. I just feel numb inside. ‘
Ms. Dubois said the girls were found hand in hand after the house fire.
“Something else must be burning in the front room, Tanyka shouted at them to open the door, but they didn’t, the poor cuties would have been scared,” she said. The Daily Telegraph.
“The girls couldn’t speak, they had their own special language, they worshiped each other, they were clamped together in the front room and holding each other’s hands.”
A GoFundMe page was set up to support the family and has raised over $ 14,000 to date.
Aisha and Lailani, three, died when enraged flames flooded the family commission home in Batlow, south NSW
“My sister tragically lost her three-year-old twin daughters in a house fire, which claimed not only the lives of these two young children, but also their homes and belongings,” wrote the twins’ uncle Levi.
“Her son has lost all possessions, including toys and clothes … Losing everything is difficult enough without financial worries.
“Everything, no matter how small, is appreciated.”
Detectives continue their investigations and hope to speak more closely to the immediate family.
A GoFundMe page has been set up to support the family after the shocking tragedy