BAFTA chief warned bosses to ‘ruin an innocent man’s career’ if they suspend Noel Clarke

0

‘We can’t act as judge and jury in this’: BAFTA chief warned bosses to ‘ruin an innocent man’s career’ if they suspend Noel Clarke for sex abuse allegations without evidence

  • Bafta chairman feared awarding a Clarke prize could ‘destroy’ the organization
  • Senior figures were tipped off about Clarke’s alleged behavior, but proceeded with the April 10 ceremony
  • Bafta first heard of allegations against Noel Clarke on March 29

The chairman of Bafta feared that awarding an award to Noel Clarke could ‘destroy’ the organization, it turned out yesterday.

Senior figures had been tipped off about Clarke’s alleged behavior, but decided to go ahead with the April 10 ceremony in the absence of direct evidence from the victims.

Bafta first heard of the allegations on March 29 when award-winning film director Sally El Hosaini, talent manager Pelumi Akindude and Bafta-winning actor James Krishna Floyd wrote a joint letter to the organization’s leaders.

According to the Guardian, the letter said they were “ extremely concerned ” about the intention to give Clarke the award, given the first-hand stories they had heard.

The chairman of Bafta feared that awarding an award to Noel Clarke could 'destroy' the organization, it turned out yesterday.

The chairman of Bafta feared that awarding an award to Noel Clarke could ‘destroy’ the organization, it turned out yesterday.

While Bafta Chairman Krishnendu Majumdar acknowledged that the issues raised were “ extremely serious, ” he said it was a “ difficult situation ” to deal with without detailed evidence – adding, “ We cannot act as a judge and jury.’

Bafta’s lawyers informed the board that the scant information it had received so far was no reason to suspend the award. They also reportedly questioned whether the organization, which is a charity, had a legal duty to investigate such matters.

By the evening of April 9, less than 24 hours before Clarke was to be honored, the leaders of Bafta were in turmoil.

Mr Majumdar called Ms El Hosaini at 9:30 pm and repeated an earlier request to speak directly to alleged victims.

He said he had heard that as many as 12 women are suing Clarke, but he had to hear it himself before he could receive the award.

“We could ruin an innocent man’s career,” he warned.

Mr. Majumdar called Mr. Krishna Floyd the same evening at 10 p.m. and said, ‘People will say,’ Bafta knew [about the allegations]and have done nothing about it. “

‘We tried to do something about it. In public opinion we will be. . . this will destroy us. ‘

Senior figures had been tipped off about Clarke's alleged behavior, but decided to go ahead with the April 10 ceremony due to lack of direct evidence from the victims

Senior figures had been tipped off about Clarke's alleged behavior, but decided to go ahead with the April 10 ceremony due to lack of direct evidence from the victims

Senior figures had been tipped off about Clarke’s alleged behavior, but decided to go ahead with the April 10 ceremony due to lack of direct evidence from the victims

Last night, a senior Bafta member told The Mail on Sunday how the academy struggled for two weeks with how to respond to the allegations.

“ If you don’t go ahead and it’s all planned, you assume the person is guilty, ” they said.

‘I don’t know what you do in those circumstances. It’s very difficult. ‘

Bafta only suspended Clarke’s presentation at 8 p.m. on Thursday after The Guardian revealed that 20 women had accused him of sexual harassment, groping, misconduct and bullying.

The actor categorically denied almost all allegations.

While Bafta Chairman Krishnendu Majumdar acknowledged that the issues raised were `` extremely serious, '' he said it was a `` difficult situation '' to deal with without detailed evidence - adding, `` We cannot act as a judge and jury'

While Bafta Chairman Krishnendu Majumdar acknowledged that the issues raised were `` extremely serious, '' he said it was a `` difficult situation '' to deal with without detailed evidence - adding, `` We cannot act as a judge and jury'

While Bafta Chairman Krishnendu Majumdar acknowledged that the issues raised were “ extremely serious, ” he said it was a “ difficult situation ” to deal with without detailed evidence – adding, “ We cannot act as a judge and jury’

In a statement, Bafta claimed it acted ‘as quickly and supportively as we could’, adding, ‘No first-hand allegations were sent to us.

No names, times, dates, productions or other details were ever provided. Had the victims been included as with The Guardian, the award would have been suspended immediately. ‘

Bafta bosses are now reportedly considering introducing scrutiny checks for top honors nominees.

A spokeswoman said the organization was “reviewing” procedures, but added that it was too early to say what that might look like.

Advertisement

.