Australians are getting a letter urging them to get a Covid booster shot if possible
Australians will receive 11 million letters by Christmas urging them to get a Covid booster shot six months after their second dose
- Every Australian household will receive a letter urging them to get a booster shot
- PM said the booster program was essential if the nation was to avoid another wave of Covid
- Booster shots are available for those who received the Covid vaccine more than six months ago
Letters will be sent to every Australian household urging residents to get their Covid-19 booster shot as soon as they qualify, the Prime Minister has confirmed.
Scott Morrison said the booster program was essential if Australia was to prevent another wave of virus infections.
“We are writing to all Australians and also encouraging them to start taking their booster shots now,” Morrison told ABC Radio Adelaide on Friday.
11.3 million homes will receive a letter before Christmas urging residents to get their Covid-19 booster shot as soon as they qualify (stock image)
‘What you see in Europe right now with the next wave (booster shots) is very important. We roll on.’
Booster shots are available to anyone who received their second Covid-19 vaccine six months ago or more.
Although Pfizer is the only vaccine manufacturer to have the booster dose approved, it can be given to anyone, regardless of the brand they received for their first or second dose.
The letters calling on people to participate in the booster program will be sent to 11.3 million homes and are expected to arrive before Christmas.
Scott Morrison (pictured) said the booster program was essential if Australia was to prevent another wave of virus infections
The head of Australia’s vaccine rollout, Lieutenant General John Frewen, said 370,000 people have already received their third dose of a Covid-19 vaccine.
However, more than 500,000 people have been eligible for the upgrade.
“The first two doses are the most important, and we’ll continue to work to help everyone do that,” Lieutenant General Frewen told ABC TV.
“But for everyone else, if you’re six months past your second dose, we strongly recommend that you go outside and grab a booster.”
The booster push comes amid a new Covid-19 variant being detected in South Africa, which has alarmed health officials.
The new variant, called the Nu tribe, has double the number of mutations as the Delta tribe, leading to lockdowns in multiple jurisdictions in Australia
The latest Australian vaccination figures show that 86 per cent of the national population over the age of 16 have been vaccinated and 91.9 per cent have received their first dose.
Booster shots are available to anyone who received their second Covid-19 vaccine six months or more ago, with 370,000 people having already received their third dose (Pictured: A young woman receives Pfizer vaccine in Melbourne)
Most of the people now eligible for their booster shot were among the first to receive the Covid-19 vaccine when the rollout began, including health professionals and residents and staff of aged care and disabled care.
While delivery problems plagued the start of the vaccine rollout, Lieutenant General Frewen said it was no problem for the third doses.
“There is absolutely no restriction on the supply now and people will be able to use all kinds of paths,” he said.
As of Friday, there were 1,362 new cases of Covid-19 in Victoria with seven reported deaths.
Meanwhile, there were 261 non-fatal infections in NSW.
Only one new case had been reported in the Northern Territory on Thursday, after the Top End experienced a recent spike in infections, while the ACT had eight cases.