Australian mom warns supermarket carts that children are a choking hazard

0

Mama urgently warns of the deadly danger posed by supermarket carts

  • A mother has warned of the potentially fatal danger posed by supermarket carts
  • Her daughter was playing in the kitchen when she screamed and threw up
  • Unbeknownst to her, the little girl had swallowed an Aldi token from her keychain
  • Doctors performed a minor procedure to remove it, and the baby was unharmed
  • Like grapes, trolley tokens are a major choking hazard for young children

A mother has warned of the potentially deadly danger of supermarket trolleys left unsupervised in the hands of children.

In a post on the Instagram page about children’s health and safety, Tiny Hearts Education, an unidentified Melbourne mother said her baby daughter Brianna was playing in the kitchen when she screamed and suddenly started vomiting bile.

Unbeknownst to the mother, her little girl had swallowed an Aldi trolley chip that fell off a keychain – a choking hazard similar to grapes that can easily block toddlers’ airways due to its shape and size.

An emergency room X-ray quickly revealed the cause of Brianna’s suffering, and doctors performed minor surgery to remove the tick, leaving her as good as new.

An unidentified Melbourne mother said her daughter Brianna (photo in hospital) was playing in the kitchen when she screamed and suddenly started vomiting bile

An X-ray shows the supermarket trolley sitting in baby Brianna's throat

An X-ray shows the supermarket trolley sitting in baby Brianna’s throat

Paramedic Nikki (pictured) says mini chocolate eggs can be a choking hazard for children

Paramedic Nikki (pictured) says mini chocolate eggs can be a choking hazard for children

‘As soon as I saw the X-ray, I knew it was the trolley chip. I said, ‘That will come with the Ali symbol on it,’ ‘the mother recalled.

“I told my oldest daughter the day before to throw it away because it had come off my keys and she was playing with it. I didn’t know she put it in her play kitchen. ‘

Nikki, the Queensland paramedic behind the Tiny Hearts page, said the story reminded her that what she does is so important

“Choking prevention is so important. Be vigilant with our little people and choking hazards, ”she wrote in the caption.

Inadvertent respiratory threats, including asphyxiation and choking, were responsible for 11 percent of deaths in children under eight years of age in 2020, according to research from Life Vac Australia.

Every year an average of 80 Australians die from asphyxiation.

Nikki told Daily Mail Australia that anything that fits through a toilet roll is a choking hazard.

Most common choking hazards

– Foods such as grapes and chocolate mini eggs

– Coins

– Marbles

– Batteries

– Bottle caps

– Lego

– Balloons

– Pins lids

Her warning, which has garnered 4,676 ‘likes’ since it was uploaded online on May 27, has sparked passionate responses.

“Grapes are actually a fear for me in the kids, they are five and I still cut them,” replied a mother.

Another added: “So fortunate, this could have been a very different outcome. How scary for this poor mother. ‘

Others said they will be ‘more aware’ of trolley tokens lying around after reading the story.

Doctors performed a minor procedure to remove Brianna's tick from trachea, leaving her as good as new

Doctors performed a minor procedure to remove Brianna’s tick from trachea, leaving her as good as new

OMG. I have one on my keys. Will be so aware of this now! Thanks for sharing and I am so glad this beautiful girl is okay. ‘

Earlier this year, Nikki warned of the danger of miniature chocolate Easter eggs.

The tight seal created by their smooth surface makes them difficult to shift, even in traditional first aid maneuvers.

Rather than buying chocolate mini eggs, Australian paramedic Nikki urged parents to stock up on larger, hollow eggs that can be broken for children to enjoy

Rather than buying chocolate mini eggs, Australian paramedic Nikki urged parents to stock up on larger, hollow eggs that can be broken for children to enjoy

Nikki urged parents to instead buy larger, hollow eggs that can be broken into flat pieces that are less dangerous to little ones.

“Up to 85 percent of suffocation deaths are caused by food, and by Easter around the corner, I want this to be at the forefront of your mind,” Nikki wrote in the caption.

“Choking is silent, it happens quickly, and knowing exactly what to do in a choking emergency is the difference between a scare and a life-changing moment.”

Advertisement

.