Australia could lose a THIRD of its foreign students if the corona virus travel ban remains in force
Australia could lose a THIRD of its Chinese students if the corona virus travel ban continues – destroying the $ 38 billion higher education industry in the country
- A third of Australia’s international students could study in other countries
- Prime Minister Scott Morrison extended the travel ban by another week from China
- Almost a third of the international student population is currently stuck in China
- Up to 100,000 international students cannot return on time for semester one
Nearly a third of Chinese students in Australia can be lost to other countries if the corona virus travel ban remains in force.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison has extended a travel ban on Friday, preventing people from China from entering Australia.
It means that 100,000 international students are unable to visit the universities of Australia.
Almost a third of those who are trapped in China and will look to other places to go to college, according to a study by the Education Consultants Association of Australia.
Nearly a third of Australia’s international students can be lost to other countries if the corona virus travel ban from China continues to exist. On the photo: people in Sydney with face masks in January after news about the coronavirus outbreak
Prime Minister Scott Morrison extended a travel ban on Friday for another week for people traveling from China to Australia
Of the 16,000 students surveyed, 32 percent said they would enroll in another country if they could not complete the first semester of 2020 in Australia, SBS reported.
Canada and the UK have no travel bans.
Universities and the $ 37.9 billion higher education industry may end up in chaos if international students are unable to return in time for the semester.
China, Australia’s largest trading partner, is the number 1 source of international students, who contribute $ 12 billion annually to the economy.
They accounted for 38.3 percent of foreign education registrations in 2018, while figures from the Department of Education showed that 152,591 were studying in Australia.
Some Australian universities have already delayed the start of the semester due to the corona virus, but international students could look elsewhere.
When asked where they would lead their studies, 58 percent of the students chose the UK, 31 percent for Canada and six percent for the US.
Foreign travelers who have recently left mainland China or have passed by, currently have no access to our coasts. The photo shows visitors arriving in Brosbane before the ban was introduced.
The study, conducted between February 5 and February 9 at WeChat, questioned 73 percent of students who had already studied in Australia.
Now that classes are resumed in March, 100,000 students are still stuck in China.
Group of Eight (Go8) chief executive Vicki Thomson said the findings are worrying because major competitors, the UK and Canada, had no travel bans.
“This could be a missed opportunity,” she said.
If the travel ban is extended, a maximum of 100,000 international students cannot return to Australia in time for the start of the semester
Mrs. Thomson said that the loss of students could immediately lead to a loss of $ 3 billion in costs if Chinese students do not come to Australia.
Federal Education Minister Dan Tehan acknowledged that extensive prohibitions can cause major disruption.
“It is very awaiting what happens,” said Mr. Tehan Sunday against Sky News.
“But my hope is that we will see some sort of breakthrough and that we can get students here for the first semester, but we’ll have to wait and see.”
AUSTRALIA WITH THE CORONAVIRUS
NEW SOUTH WALES: 4
- Three men aged 43, 53 and 35 who had recently traveled to China have been confirmed to have contracted the disease.
- Two flew in from Wuhan, while the other arrived in Sydney from Shenzhen, South China.
- They are treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital and are in a stable condition.
- A 21-year-old woman is identified as the fourth person who tested positive for the disease in NSW.
- The woman, a student at UNSW, flew on flight MU749 to Sydney International Airport on January 23 and presented to the emergency department 24 hours later after developing flu-like symptoms.
- She is treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital.
- A Chinese citizen aged fifty will be the first confirmed case of the corona virus in Australia.
- The man flew from Wuhan via Guangzhou to Melbourne on January 19 on the Southern Southern flight CZ321.
- He is now in quarantine at the Monash Hospital in Clayton in the east of Melbourne.
- A Victorian man in his sixties is diagnosed with the corona virus.
- He became unwell on January 23 – two days after his return from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak.
- The man was confirmed as positive on January 29 and was subsequently seen by doctors at the Monash Medical Center. He was rated good enough to stay at home.
- A woman in her forties has a corona virus.
- She was visiting from China and mainly spent time with her family.
- She is being treated at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
- A woman in her twenties in Melbourne appears to have the virus
QUEEN COUNTRY: 5
- Queensland confirms its first case after a 44-year-old Chinese subject was diagnosed with the virus.
- He is being treated at the Gold Coast University Hospital.
- A 42-year-old Chinese woman who traveled in the same Wuhan travel group as the 44-year-old man tested positive. She is in stable condition at the Gold Coast University Hospital.
- The corona virus has been diagnosed in an eight-year-old boy. He also comes from the travel group where the other Queensland cases came from
- The case was found in a 37-year-old man who was a member of a group of nine Chinese tourists in quarantine on the Gold Coast
- A 37-year-old woman was diagnosed with the corona virus of the same travel group that flew from Melbourne to Queensland on January 27
SOUTH AUSTRALIA: 2
- A Chinese couple in their sixties who arrived from Wuhan in Adelaide to visit relatives confirmed that they have coronavirus.
- It has been confirmed that two Australians have the virus in Wuhan itself. Australia has increased the travel alarm level to ‘not traveling’ for the city of Wuhan – the epicenter of the outbreak – and for the entire Hubei province.
- Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy says that unless people are in contact with someone who doesn’t feel well and comes from that part of China, there is no cause for concern.
- Four Australians are among the 65 newly confirmed coronavirus cases aboard the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship docked in Yokohama.