Warning to drivers NEVER to use magnetic P-plates – as furious mum reveals the serious damage they did to her car
- Aussie car owners were warned not to use magnetic P-plates on their vehicles
- The plates can cause significant paint damage if left on the car for long periods
- One mother shared a photo of a white shadow left behind after two days of use
Aussie drivers have been warned to avoid magnetic P-plates because they can damage the paint on cars.
A frustrated mum shared photos of her ‘full’ car to a Facebook group, adding that the magnetic P-plates were only on her car for two days but still managed to leave a white mark.
“We had a P plate on our vehicle for two days at most and it has filled the paint,” she said.
A frustrated mum found a white shadow left from a magnetic P plate after just two days
Mom added that her family doesn’t usually use magnetic plates, but puts them on after losing their plastic plates.
“We don’t usually use them, the others had come off, so they had to use them,” she said.
“It’s not terrible, and it was only on for a few days.”
The back of the magnetic plate has a warning to users to “remove plates from the vehicle when not required” and “prolonged attachment to the vehicle may cause paint damage”.
Several commenters on the post said they didn’t know the plates could cause harm and said they were ‘throwing them in the bin right now’.
“They really should stop selling these things, they ruined my first car too,” one person wrote.
‘They didn’t have warning on the magnificent ones when I used them years ago. I ended up with two magnetic squares on my car where it melted and stuck. I never took mine off, said another.
‘Yes, my son’s car did the same. I actually think it has lifted the coat of paint….filled!’ another commented.
A warning on the back of the P-plate told users to ‘remove plates from vehicle when not necessary’ and ‘prolonged attachment to vehicle may cause paint damage’
‘This happened a year ago when I was also on my provisional. They eventually melted into the paint. Wasn’t happy,’ wrote another.
Several others recommended that the mother go straight to a car dealer to avoid making the situation worse.
‘Nothing here will save it, don’t use any household cleaner on it. That’s why I always tell people not to use the magnetic plates,’ one person warned.
‘Try a car dealer. They have the goods to fix most things without screwing up more,’ said another in agreement.
“I’ve always wondered about these magnetics,” said another.
Aussie P plates were warned that magnetic plates can cause significant paint damage to vehicles