WhatsNew2Day
Latest News And Breaking Headlines

Asian doctors say they are racially abused by patients because of angonavirus anxiety

Asian doctors say they are racially abused by parents who do not want their children to be treated by them amid fear of coronavirus

  • Families reject treatment from Asian doctors because of fear of coronavirus
  • The Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne reported several cases of racist abuse
  • The hospital warned the Ministry of Health and campaigned against racism
  • Chinese citizens are still facing global recoil fueled by the corona virus

Parents refuse to have their children treated by Asian doctors for fear that they will contract coronavirus, some doctors say.

Some families at the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne have rejected health workers with an Asian appearance and many ask if they have been tested for COVID-19.

Staff also reported that patients refused to share waiting rooms with Asian families after they mistakenly believed their ethnicity was linked to the virus.

Patients at the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne have refused the treatment of Asian doctors

Patients at the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne have refused the treatment of Asian doctors

Families avoided doctors and patients of Asian descent amidst angonal viruses (file image)

Families avoided doctors and patients of Asian descent amidst angonal viruses (file image)

Families avoided doctors and patients of Asian descent amidst angonal viruses (file image)

Royal Children’s Hospital’s director of emergency medicine, Stuart Lewena, said the health ministry was alerted after several employees reported having heard racist comments.

He explained that a doctor told a child’s parents that she was feeling uncomfortable with treating their child because of the risk of coronavirus.

Dr. Lewena spoke at a press conference on Thursday and said: “It was clear that the message was sent based on her race. We intervened to emphasize that family that was not acceptable and we supported that employee.

“We want to use this as an opportunity to say that this is not acceptable in healthcare and it is certainly not acceptable in our society.”

Dr. Lewena said three more staff members came forward to say they had similar experiences.

He told reporters that “Paranoia around coronavirus is acceptable, but we must be wise and respectful in how we deal with it.”

Health Minister Jenny Mikakos also noted that the racial fears of coronavirus were not needed.

“There is no room for this behavior in our public hospitals, there is no room for it in our wider community,” she said in a statement Thursday.

The Melbourne Children’s Hospital launched a warning against racism on Thursday, criticizing abuse committed in the midst of the coronavirus paranoia.

Doctors in Australia have spoken out about racist abuse by patients.

Gold Coast surgeon Dr. Rhea Liang posted a tweet last month that said, “Today a patient was joking about not shaking my hand because of the corona virus. For my team.

“I didn’t leave Australia. These are not sensible public health precautions. This is racism. “

The Ministry of Health spoke out against racist abuse fueled by the virus (file image)

The Ministry of Health spoke out against racist abuse fueled by the virus (file image)

The Ministry of Health spoke out against racist abuse fueled by the virus (file image)

Other doctors also reported being asked if the corona virus could be contracted by Chinese food or by sitting next to a person of Asian descent.

Chinese citizens have experienced racist repercussions worldwide after the outbreak of the deadly virus.

Restaurants in South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and Vietnam have all refused to accept Chinese customers and French Asians have started a trending hashtag with the text ‘JeNeSuisPasUnVirus’ (‘IAmNotAVirus’).

The risk of getting coronavirus in Victoria is very low with just three people currently infected. They all stand on their own after returning from the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

CORONAVIRUS CASES IN AUSTRALIA

NEW SOUTH WALES: 4

January 25

  • Three men, 43, 53 and 35 years old who had recently traveled to China, have confirmed that they have contracted the disease.
  • Two flew in from Wuhan, while the other arrived in Sydney from Shenzhen, South China.
  • They were treated isolated at Westmead Hospital

January 27

  • A 21-year-old woman is identified as the fourth person who tested positive for the disease in NSW.
  • The woman, a student at the UNSW, flew on flight MU749 to Sydney International Airport on January 23 and presented to the emergency department 24 hours later after developing flu-like symptoms.

VICTORIA: 7

January 25

  • A Chinese citizen aged fifty will be the first confirmed case of the corona virus in Australia.
  • The man flew from Wuhan via Guangzhou to Melbourne on January 19 on the Southern Southern flight CZ321.
  • He was quarantined at the Monash Hospital in Clayton in the east of Melbourne.

January 29

  • A Victorian man in his sixties is diagnosed with the corona virus.
  • He became unwell on January 23 – two days after his return from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak.
  • The man was confirmed as positive on January 29 and was subsequently seen by doctors at the Monash Medical Center.

January 30

  • A woman in her forties has a corona virus.
  • She was visiting from China and mainly spent time with her family.
  • She is being treated at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

February 1

  • A woman in her twenties in Melbourne appears to have the virus

February 22

  • Two passengers left positively from the Diamond Princess cruise ship test
  • Third passenger takes off the cruise ship test positive

QUEEN COUNTRY: 8

January 29

  • Queensland confirms its first case after the virus was diagnosed with a 44-year-old Chinese national. He is being treated at the Gold Coast University Hospital.

January 30

  • A 42-year-old Chinese woman who traveled in the same Wuhan travel group as the 44-year-old man tested positive. She is in stable condition at the Gold Coast University Hospital.

February 4

  • The corona virus has been diagnosed in an eight-year-old boy. He also comes from the travel group where the other Queensland cases came from

February 5

  • The case was found in a 37-year-old man who was a member of a group of nine Chinese tourists in quarantine on the Gold Coast

February 6

  • A 37-year-old woman was diagnosed with the corona virus of the same travel group that flew from Melbourne to Queensland on January 27

February 21st

  • Two Queensland women, 54 and 55 years old, tested positive for COVID-19 and are flown to Brisbane for further treatment.
  • A 57-year-old woman from Queensland also tests positive for the virus

SOUTH AUSTRALIA: 3

February 1

  • A Chinese couple in their sixties who arrived from Wuhan in Adelaide to visit relatives confirmed that they have coronavirus.
  • A 24-year-old woman from South Australia has been transferred to Royal Adelaide Hospital

WESTERN AUSTRALIA: 1

February 21st

  • A 78-year-old man from Western Australia was transferred to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Perth

JAPAN / DARWIN: 22

  • Fifteen Australians were contracted among 219 confirmed coronavirus aboard Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama.
  • Seven passengers aboard the Diamond Princess then tested positive for the corona virus after arriving at the facility at Manigurr-ma Village Howard Springs in Darwin

.

Comments
Loading...