Antony has returned to training at Manchester United as the Brazilian winger returns to the squad amid domestic violence allegations against him.
He was photographed arriving at the Carrington training complex on Saturday morning in the back of a darkened Mercedes van.
Antony will train as his teammates take on Crystal Palace in the Premier League at Old Trafford on Saturday afternoon.
The 23-year-old returned on Tuesday from South America, where he was on full paid leave to fight allegations he assaulted three women.
Antony voluntarily met with Greater Manchester Police for questioning on Thursday. He was not arrested or detained and went home without restrictions.
Antony returned to training with Manchester United in the back of a Mercedes van on Saturday morning after being cleared to return to the first-team squad
The Brazilian winger will train on Saturday as his teammates prepare for the match against Crystal Palace
Manager Erik ten Hag said he hoped Antony’s return would not be a distraction for United
Your browser does not support iframes.
United believe the £82million footballer has provided sufficient evidence to support his strong denials of the allegations.
The club cleared him to return to first-team duties, with the women’s team also informed of his impending return to training base.
United said in a statement that Antony’s situation “will be monitored pending further developments in the case.”
It said: ‘Since the first allegations were made in June, Antony has cooperated with police investigations in both Brazil and Britain and continues to do so.
‘As Antony’s employer, Manchester United have decided that he will resume training at Carrington and be available for selection while the police investigation continues. This will be monitored pending further developments in the case.
‘As a club we condemn violence and abuse. We recognize the importance of protecting everyone involved in this situation, and acknowledge the impact these allegations have on survivors of abuse.”
Manager Erik ten Hag emphasized on Friday that Antony’s return will not cause a distraction. “Everything has been made clear in the statement,” he said. ‘We will concentrate on the matches. He will too.
Antony’s ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin claims Antony assaulted her four times
Man United matches
Premier League unless otherwise stated
Saturday Crystal Palace (H)
Tuesday Galatasaray (H)
Champions League group stage
October 7 Brentford (H)
21st of October Sheffield United (A)
the 24th of October Copenhagen (H)
Champions League group stage
29 October Manchester City (H)
‘I have spoken to him, but that does not give the impression of what he is like, what his mental state is. I don’t know that at the moment.’
As revealed by Mail Sport, in an effort to ensure the women’s team felt comfortable returning to the training pitch, Mail Sport understands that director of football John Murtough and chief communications officer Ellie Norman held a team meeting to discuss the club’s reasoning explain.
Led by Norman, who arrived at United last year after four years in Formula 1, the meeting discussed the background and facts of Antony’s case, while also presenting the lessons implemented from the handling of Antony’s case Mason Greenwood.
It is understood players were offered one-on-one meetings if they wanted to discuss it further, but no issues were raised and Marc Skinner’s side are said to be positive about the explanation given.
Antony has missed the last four games since the international break after being dropped by Brazil and put on leave by United to remain in South America to fight the allegations.
He has been accused by his ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin of assaulting him a total of four times, including twice in Britain.
She claims the former Ajax winger, who joined United last year for £82 million, attacked her at the Hyatt Regency hotel in Manchester on January 15, damaging one of her breast implants. She also claims that in June Antony cut her finger to the bone when he threw a glass at her.
A meeting was held with the women’s team to ensure they were comfortable with his return
Football director John Murtough (right) and the club’s chief communications officer held the meeting to explain the club’s reasoning
Another woman, 33-year-old banker Ingrid Lana, has made a similar accusation. A third accuser, Rayssa de Freitas, reportedly dropped her charges.
The player made an emotional TV appearance in his home country earlier this month to deny all allegations.
Antony told Brazilian TV channel SBT earlier this month: ‘I know the truth and it will come out. I know many are bashing me, but the truth always comes out.
“I’m 100 percent sure I’ve never touched a woman, and I’ll come back with the proof.” I have never assaulted and I will never assault. I’m sure I’ve never committed physical violence. I have a mother and a sister, and I would never want this to happen to them.”
After beating Crystal Palace 3-0 in the third round of the Carabao Cup on Tuesday evening, United now face them again in the competition on Saturday afternoon.
Next Tuesday they will play Galatasaray at Old Trafford in the Champions League.