‘The dream is to stay here for YEARS’: Antonio Conte pledges his future to Tottenham despite his current contract expiring next summer and rumors of a return to Italy lingering
Antonio Conte has said he wants to keep building at Tottenham, despite the fact that his north London contract currently only runs until June.
Spurs lost consecutive games to Liverpool in the Premier League last weekend, before being dumped out of the Carabao Cup by Nottingham Forest on Wednesday.
However, they won their Champions League group and are in a good place to finish back in the top four of the league. Conte is eager to continue working with Spurs and contribute to their success in the years to come.
Boss Antonio Conte has promised his future to Spurs despite his current deal expiring in June
During the pre-match press conference for Tottenham’s Premier League match with Leeds United, Conte said: “You are well aware that my contract expires in June. Until then, the club must make the best evaluation.
“I think you have to earn everything, and it will be important to see the rest of the season and if we are happy with the improvement we are making. I think every situation is important to earn.
“For my part, it’s important to feel that I deserve a new contract, to sign a new contract with this club. I have to feel this. We go with the club and look for the best solution.’
Conte added: “But you know, I think when you start a path with a club, the dream is to stay here for many years and try to build something important.
Conte leads Tottenham for the World Cup for the last time as they host Leeds United
“I think the relationship you build with the players, the club and the environment around you is very important. Don’t forget the ambition. If you are used to winning, it is important to meet all these situations.
“If you’re lucky enough to match all these situations, it’s easy for a coach, but in modern football it’s different.”
The Italian manager revealed he had not yet spoken to Spurs general manager Fabio Paratici or chairman Daniel Levy, but expects to meet soon to discuss the first half of the season.
Ahead of Saturday’s game against Leeds, Conte confirmed that Ryan Sessegnon has been permanently eliminated after a ‘minor problem’, while Richarlison and Dejan Kulusevski will need another training session before the team knows if they are ready to be in the starting XI.
The match will be the last Spurs play before a six-week break before the World Cup, and the North London side will be happy to reverse the form that has seen consecutive losses over the past week.
Conte spoke about how the club’s staff are coping with the death of Gian Piero Ventrone (L)
Conte spoke of the club dealing with the death of coach Gian Piero Ventrone amid a frenetic series of games ahead of the World Cup.
The Italian manager said: “I want to be open and say that in these 43 days, not just 13 games, it has been a difficult emotional moment. Losing a person like Gian Piero is terrible, not only for me but also for many players. Many players had a good relationship with him. I think someone had a great loss in their heart.
“Life is this and you have to move forward and move on. We will continue to work in the same way. Don’t forget I took Gian Piero to Tottenham, he had been to China to help Fabio Cannavaro and also Fabio Capello.
‘The work is always the same. there is a lack of human aspect and his experience, his relationship with the players. You know it was a great loss for us.’
More to follow…