Ant & Dec sensationally quit Saturday Night Takeaway ahead of their 20th series, shocking their fans across the country.
Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, both 47, have announced that the multi-BAFTA-winning show will take a hiatus after 2024.
The pair will continue their exclusive working relationship with ITV, hosting hit shows including I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!, Britain’s Got Talent and Limitless Win, all of which air on ITV1 and ITVX.
Ant said, “We love making Saturday Night Takeaway, but hitting the 20-series milestone seemed like the perfect time to take a break and catch our breath.”
Dec added, “We’ve still got a memorable 20th series to look forward to, so we’ll do our best to go out with a bang (for now) in 2024!”
Wow! Ant & Dec sensationally quit Saturday Night Takeaway ahead of their 20th series, shocking their fans across the country (pictured in March 2023)
Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway, produced by Lifted Entertainment (part of ITV Studios) and Miter Studios, will return for its 20th series next year.
The series has spawned numerous iconic segments, including Win the Ads, Undercover, Get Out Of Me Ear, The End of Show Show, and the Happiest Minute of the Week.
The most recent series launched in February with ITV1’s largest nightly audience of the year, at 6.4 million viewers, and the largest entertainment audience across any channel.
The combination of live, high energy and feel good fun has led to the format winning multiple BAFTA and National Television Awards since its launch in 2002.
Kevin Lygo, ITV Managing Director, Media and Entertainment, said: ‘When you think of Saturday night television, you think of Saturday Night Takeaway.
“Over 20 series, the show has become a cultural phenomenon, and while we eagerly await what Ant & Dec have in store for the 2024 series, we fully understand their desire to take a break, take stock and after thinking about what the next incarnation will be. of the show could look like.’
In a video posted to Twitter on Thursday night, Ant said, “Hi everyone, we have news for you. Next year, in 2024, it will be our 20th Saturday Night Takeaway series and we have some very exciting new items.”
Unexpected: Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, both 47, have announced that the multiple BAFTA-winning show will take a hiatus after 2024
Throwback: The series previously took a hiatus in 2009 and returned four years later in 2013 (pictured in 2004)
They announced the big news from Florida’s Universal Orlando Resort tonight after hosting the series finale.
Dec explained that they both “need a little rest” amid their other ongoing work commitments.
He added: ‘And we’ve also decided that our 20th series next year will be our last for now. The show takes up such a big chunk of our year, we just feel like we need to take a little breather and rest a little bit.”
Ant and Dec – who first rose to prominence on Byker Grove in the late 1980s – first fronted the show from 2002 to 2009 when the show went on hiatus, and since returning in 2013 they’ve been joined by a series over the years co-presenters including Scarlett Moffatt, Stephen Mulhern and Jordan Banjo.
In 2021, the show – which relies heavily on studio audience participation – went virtual to continue the interaction.
Last month, Ant and Dec revealed that Saturday Night Takeaway would return to screens next year.
The chaotic grand finale show was packed with hilarious clips and a few hair-raising moments as the biggest Win The Ads jackpot was lost.
However, at the end of the packed show, the duo revealed that Takeaway will return for another series next year.
It’s back! Last month, Ant and Dec revealed that Saturday Night Takeaway would return to screens next year
Exciting! The chaotic grand finale show was packed with hilarious segments and a few hair-raising moments as the biggest Win The Ads jackpot was lost
Ant and Dec also promised that viewers could even win The Ads one more time, as the competition would also be part of their next series.
Saturday Night Takeaway originally launched in 2002 before taking a four-year hiatus in 2009, and next year’s series will be the show’s 20th.
The show wasn’t all fun and games though, as contestant John sadly lost all prizes on the weekly competition where players can win some huge prizes.
John could win £20,000 and a Caribbean vacation if he could answer which animated film franchise would get a 5th installment.
Viewers were devastated for the contestant with many suggesting it was an easy question as the news had come to light just days before.
One person wrote, “Lord it is absolutely pathetic if they DON’T win the ads. #SaturdayNightTakeaway’
Another said, “It was literally like 3 days ago news. I was like screaming Shrek so much my dog ran out of the room.”
Someone else said “HE LOST THE BIGGEST PROFIT OF ADS THEY HAVE EVER DONE”
Sombre: In a video posted to Twitter on Thursday evening, Ant (left) said, “Hello everyone, we have news for you. Next year, in 2024, it will be our 20th series of Saturday Night Takeaway and we have some very exciting new items’
Tired: Dec (right) explained that they both “need a little rest” amid their other ongoing work commitments
While some people were really confused about how John misunderstood the question.
One person wrote, “No offense to him, but how the hell could the guy on Win the Ads on #saturdaynighttakeaway not know about Shrek 5’s existence.”
Another said, “Had a chance to win the biggest ‘Win the ads prize’ draw ever and got the Shrek question wrong…
“How has he not heard that Shrek 5 is in the works?! #SaturdayNightTakeaway’
John looked visibly shaken after realizing he got the answer wrong, while the audience also gasped in shock.
Dec said, ‘John, here’s your make-or-break question, it’s been widely reported this week that a hugely successful animated film franchise is poised for a 5th installment featuring the original voice cast.
“Which one, Shrek or Madagascar?” John replied, “Madagascar.”
Ant revealed it was the wrong answer when Dec buried his head in his hands in disbelief.