Olympic gold medalist Aly Raisman has praised the “brave survivors” who spoke against disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein and held him “responsible.”
For the 25-year-old gymnast, the Weinstein trial that condemned the 67-year-old filmmaker of a criminal sexual act and raped this week was beaten home.
She was one of a group of about 200 women who accused the US Gymnastics team physician Larry Nassar of sexual abuse.
“I applaud the brave survivors who held Harvey Weinstein responsible, and the investigative journalists who triumphed over the opposition of money and power to discover enough facts for Lady Justice to do her thing,” Raisman said in a long statement on Thursday.
“Truth is essential for both justice and reform,” she added.
While praising the # MeToo movement in Hollywood, Raisman then demanded justice in the athletic world and accused VS Gymnastics and the American Olympic Committee of hiding the Nassar scandal.
Olympic gold medalist Aly Raisman, 25, has praised the “brave survivors” who spoke against the disgraceful film producer Harvey Weinstein and held him “responsible” in a statement that was shared on Thursday
She shared a long statement in which she praised justice in the Weinstein case, shedding light on the roadblocks she faces in her lawsuit against the US Olympic Committee and USA Gymnastic
“While we won medals for Team USA, Larry Nassar molested us,” Raisman said in her statement.
“It’s been almost five YEARS since I reported my abuse, and USAG / USOC still rejects any responsibility and hinders our search for the truth,” she said.
Raisman reported the abuse to the two organizations in 2015, which led to the dismissal of Nassar, although rumors had been circulating around the predator since the 1990s.
She said she suffered from “serial molestation, sexual abuse, and intimidation” by Nassar.
In March 2018, Raisman filed a lawsuit against USA Gymnastics and the United States Olympic Committee that the organizations “knew or should have known” about the widespread abuse of Nassar that had persisted for years but never stopped him.
While Nassar was convicted in early 2018 for several counts of sexual abuse and is likely to spend the rest of his life in prison, Raisman demands justice from the USAG and USOC organizations.
Nassar was convicted in early 2018 for various counts of sexual abuse and is likely to spend the rest of his life in prison. He is pictured in court in January 2018
“They acknowledge widespread sexual abuse, organizational incompetence and ongoing criminal investigation, but STILL STILL suppress the facts needed to understand how this nightmare actually happened,” Raisman said in her statement.
She accused the organizations of having a ‘cover-up’ by blocking access to records and materials relevant to Nassar and his interactions with athletes.
On Friday, USA Gymnastic filed a disclosure statement with the US bankruptcy court in the southern district of Indiana requesting Nassar survivors to accept a $ 215 million settlement.
The scheme would give $ 1.25 million to abused former Olympic and World Championship team members and $ 82,550 to others.
That arrangement also frees USOC, the former US Gymnastics CEO Steve Penny, and former national team directors Bela and Martha Karolyi from all claims.
It does not address the extent to which US Gymnastics officials were aware of Nassar’s predatory behavior and whether they were taking steps to hide the abuse, according to Orange County Registry.
“Now they’re trying to make sure we’ll never know the truth, by demanding that we release those people we know are culpable so they don’t have to reveal who else could be guilty,” Raisman said in her statement.
Raisman praised Weinstein accusers, including Mimi Haleyi (left) and Jessica Mann (right), who testified before the court how the mogul of the film raped them
Two weeks ago, Bill Moreau, the former head of Medical Services, filed a lawsuit against the USOC in which he was accused of violating his duty to protect athletes.
He claims that he spoke to Nassar at the 2012 London Olympics about how he treated gymnasts alone.
“Moreau’s recent revelations are just the last – and certainly not the last – reminder that we still don’t know the full truth,” she said.
Raisman said she and others have demanded an independent investigation into the behavior of the organization since 2017, but none has ever happened.
She then called on USOC CEO Sarah Hirshland and USAG CEO Li Li Leung to release all documents related to Nassar and alleged abuse.
‘Your choice will alleviate or sustain the suffering of survivors and future generations or athletes. Please choose responsibly! ”
In January 2018, Nassar was sentenced by the Michigan State Court to 40 years to 175 years in prison for criminal sexual conduct. He was already sentenced to 60 years for child pornography. In February 2018, he was further sentenced to 40 to 125 years in prison for three counts of sexual violence.