Aled Jones had his £17,000 Rolex stolen by a machete-wielding teenager who threatened to cut off his arm, a court has been told.
The 52-year-old Welsh baritone was walking along Chiswick High Road in west London at around 5:40 p.m. on July 7 when a 16-year-old boy, who cannot be identified, attacked him in broad daylight.
The teenager was due to stand trial at Wimbledon Youth Court on Thursday but pleaded guilty to robbery and possession of an offensive weapon after arriving late, with his trial already underway.
Robert Simpson, the prosecutor, had previously told the court: “The plaintiff, who is Aled Jones, was walking with his son when he was approached by a young man dressed in a black tracksuit top and bottom and black running shoes.”
It said the teen “pulled a machete-shaped knife out of the bottom of his tracksuit and threatened to cut off his arm and made various other threats to get the Rolex watch Aled Jones was wearing.”
Simpson said: “He was immediately handed over by Aled Jones and the defendant fled.”
Machete found in a teenager’s room
Security cameras were collected from the area and the teenager was arrested at his home in west London.
At the time of his arrest, the boy was wearing a black Nike tracksuit and his sneakers were the ones he was wearing in the images.
The machete was found in his bedroom, the court heard.
The defendant was chosen by the singer’s son in an identity wheel, as reported by the court.
Jones and his son waited on a video link for nearly two hours to present evidence before it went on for about a minute, with the star nodding and thanking court staff when told the teen had pleaded guilty.
The boy, who appeared next to his father in a dark green tracksuit and sneakers, spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address, as well as answer “guilty” as each charge was read out.
District Judge Andrew Sweet told him the crime was “very, very serious” and adjourned the case to allow reports to be prepared.
He was released on bail, but must live and sleep under the direction of local authorities.
The case will next be heard at Ealing Youth Court on September 12, but the judge told the defendant that he could not guarantee that the case would not be sent to Crown court later.