Albert Park gastrointestinal outbreak: New twist at lavish wedding venue after guests at three separate events struck down by illness
A wedding venue linked to a serious norovirus outbreak that sickened more than 100 people at two separate events will temporarily close its doors after guests at a third gathering fell ill.
The Park’s venue at Albert Park in Melbourne’s south will close for the next two weeks while the source of the latest outbreak, linked to an event this weekend, is investigated.
About 70 attendees at a medical conference dinner at Park on September 13 reported falling ill, while a wedding three days later was spoiled after dozens of guests were struck down with gastro-like symptoms , including vomiting, diarrhea and dizziness.
Melbourne’s Albert Park has been rehabilitated by health inspectors and allowed to continue trading (pictured). But it has been closed for two weeks after guests at a third event reported falling ill.
At least 100 people from two separate events suffered food poisoning after visiting the wedding venue, The Park, in Melbourne (pictured)
“It was more than half the guests,” one guest wrote on social media. “At least 100 of us were sick. It was horrible.’
Today, illnesses were reported after a third event at the venue, although it’s unclear how many people became ill.
Bahaa Harb, manager of The Park, said Tuesday he made the voluntary decision to close out of “an abundance of caution.”
“We had taken all precautionary health and safety measures prior to recent events. However, as cases of illness were reported following a weekend event, we have decided to temporarily halt operational functions for the next two weeks until we have more information.” Mr. Harb said Nine newspapers.
“It is possible that these outbreaks are unrelated, but we have decided to close out of an abundance of caution until we have more information.”
The site has found alternative locations for those affected by the temporary closure.
Bahaa Harb, site manager of the park, said Tuesday he made the voluntary decision to close out of “an abundance of caution” (stock image)
On Friday, the Health Ministry said patient tests confirmed the outbreak was likely caused by norovirus, a common but highly contagious form of gastro.
Norovirus can be transmitted primarily through contact with an infected person, but also through contaminated food, liquids, and even contaminated surfaces or objects.
Symptoms include acute vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, muscle pain and mild fever.
Health and safety inspectors visited the park on September 15 and gave it a clean bill of health, according to Harb.
Meanwhile, investigations into the origin of the outbreak continue.