An Alabama grandmother was charged with the death of her 19-month-old grandson in 2018, who reportedly took drugs while she cared for him.
Michelle Lee Light, 44, was charged with a child's chemical death threat and was detained on a $ 500,000 bond Monday.
Journey Ray Layne Dorman died on July 21, 2018 after taking care of his grandmother on Hoagtown Loop Road in Sylvan Springs, told the office of Jefferson County Coroner AL.com.
Michelle Lee Light, 44, (photo), is accused of giving her grandson Journey Ray Layne Dorman access to a controlled substance and taking it causing him to die
Journey Ray Layne Dorman, (photo), died on July 21, 2018, while under the care of his grandmother on Hoagtown Loop Road in Sylvan Springs, according to the Jefferson County Coroner office
Initially, authorities did not know what made Journey sick, but an autopsy subsequently showed that he died of methadontoxicity or overdose, AL.com reported.
Captain David Agee of the sheriff said that Light Journey gave access to the regulated substance and could take it.
He told the news: & # 39; When the child was clearly sick, Michelle Light never informed medical staff that it was possible that the child had taken this substance & # 39 ;, Agee said.
& # 39; Journey Dorman suffered a tragic death from the recklessness of the person who was supposed to protect him from danger. & # 39;
The sheriff's delegates arrested Light on Sunday after a year-long investigation and had searched for her since July 10, according to local reports.
He told AL.com that other family members had collaborated with investigators and that they needed justice for baby Journey.
Initially, authorities did not know what made Journey Dorman (photo) sick, but an autopsy eventually showed that he died of methadontoxicity or overdose
The sheriff's deputies arrested Light, (photo), on Sunday after a year-long investigation and had searched for her since July 10, according to local reports
Agee added: & # 39; What we are saying is that this death did not have to happen. What we say to drug users could endanger yourself, but you won't endanger children. If you do that, you can expect that you will be arrested and charged. & # 39;
But Light's husband, Jerry Pugh, claimed that the couple had no methadone at home and claimed that the baby might have had access elsewhere.
Speaking after his wife was arrested, he said WTVM 13: & # 39; There was no methadone in this house because the police searched the house. They let us go outside and wait in the garden for an hour while they searched my house and went through it.
& # 39; That child slept from the moment we put him in the car seat and slept when we arrived here. It is impossible that he ended up in a chemical. & # 39;
The husband of Light, Jerry Pugh, (photo), claimed that the couple did not have methadone at home and claimed that the baby might have had access elsewhere
& # 39; We carried it inside, we laid it down. He was lying there and, as I said, his snoring sounded funny, but apart from that we had no idea that something could be wrong that way. & # 39;
Pugh claimed that the child might have taken the substance before it was given to Michelle Light and said that Journey was with the child's mother beforehand.
& # 39; I think that's why she wanted us to come and get the kids. She had already gone around to give that child away.
& # 39; She asked people: "Can you take him, we live homeless?" We have no money to support three children. "
He added: & # 39; This is my home, I was here, I was with her when she picked him up, they didn't even want to talk to me for some reason. & # 39;
He claimed they thought the baby had sleep apnea when they noticed he was snoring and & # 39; he sounded different & # 39 ;.
& # 39; It was very tragic, my wife was his most important caregiver, my wife would have lay down and died for that child. My wife loved that baby, he was her life. She cries to this day. & # 39;
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news