Brisbane Lions stranded in Melbourne after being quarantined by Queensland coronavirus outbreak and may be forced to stay for weeks
- Brisbane Lions are trapped in Melbourne due to the Covid-19 outbreak in Queensland
- The Lions have been in isolation in Victoria since losing to Geelong on Friday
- AFL clubs are on the alert and are bracing for last-minute fixture changes
- The government is working with the AFL to determine how the season is going
Brisbane Lions will stay in Melbourne until at least Monday as the AFL and state governments are closely monitoring the unfolding Covid-19 situation in Queensland.
AFL clubs are on their guard again, bracing for possible last-minute changes.
The Lions have been in isolation in Victoria since Friday night’s controversial one-point loss to Geelong.
Brisbane is slated to host Collingwood in Gabba on Thursday night, but that round-three match could be moved to the MCG or Marvel Stadium if positive cases in Queensland further increase.
The Lions were expected to fly home on Sunday, but after discussions with health experts, the AFL was ordered to stay in Victoria.
There are concerns after a Brisbane man who tested positive organized a meeting in anticipation of his test result, despite instructions to isolate himself.
Brisbane Lions will stay in Melbourne until at least Monday after a Covid outbreak in QLD
Queensland Health initially stated that the man mingled with 25 people while he was contagious, but authorities said on Sunday that they had received false information and the number was actually only five.
The Lions are struggling to find training and recovery facilities in Melbourne after the playgroup returns negative Covid-19 test results.
Lions ruckman Oscar McInerney has to undergo a scan after injuring his ankle against the Cats and was submerged in the last quarter.
The Lions’ AFLW squad played in Melbourne on Saturday and flew home to Brisbane on Sunday as scheduled.
They are preparing for an AFLW final campaign and will not know whether to play next week until Sunday’s Adelaide-Collingwood game is complete.
Victorian Health Minister Martin Foley said the state government was working closely with the AFL to determine how the season continues.
“We are working closely with the AFL to ensure that their Covid-safe plans continue,” he told reporters on Sunday.
“That gives our public health officials enough confidence that the AFL, which really went through such a challenging year last year, knows what they are doing.”
There are concerns after a Brisbane man who tested positive organized a meeting while waiting for his test result despite instructions to isolate himself (stock image)
While Brisbane’s teams are the only ones affected by the outbreak so far, Gold Coast coach Stuart Dew said on Saturday evening that his team was willing to leave Queensland if necessary to continue the AFL season.
The Suns are bracing for the possibility, despite the Gold Coast not currently being considered a Covid-19 risk area.
“ As far as we are concerned, bags are taken at the front door (and) whatever it takes, we go ahead, ” Dew said after the Suns’ victory at North Melbourne at Metricon Stadium.
“I think the entire AFL has shown what they tackled last year.”
The Suns play an away game against Adelaide on Friday evening.
Kangaroos coach David Noble didn’t expect any major hurdles for his squad to return home to Victoria on Sunday after their Gold Coast trip.
“We may need to be retested this week, but I think that’s just going to be the default,” Noble said.