Adelaide hospital and school close restrictions after first positive Covid case in months

Adelaide hospital and school are on lockdown and restrictions are in place after the city’s first positive Covid case in months is contagious several days after leaving hotel quarantine

  • An 81-year-old man tested positive for Covid in Adelaide’s first case in months
  • He had traveled through Argentina before being quarantined in NSW on his way home
  • The man’s daughter and 15 other close contacts are now also in quarantine
  • Prime Minister Steven Marshall says wider lockdown in South Australia unlikely

An 81-year-old man from Adelaide has been confirmed to have COVID-19 after reporting virus symptoms at a suburban hospital this weekend.

The new case is likely to lead to tighter local virus restrictions on Monday, but officials say they are not considering a major lockdown at this stage.

The man had previously traveled to Argentina with his daughter and had returned to Australia via NSW, where he had been quarantined for 14 days.

He spent another 10 days in hospital in NSW after falling before returning to SA on 8 July.

Prime Minister Steven Marshall says the man received one dose of vaccine while in Argentina, but it was not known what type.

His daughter and 15 other close contacts have been quarantined, with both the woman and her son testing negative so far.

Other test results are still pending.

‘We are not drawing any conclusions about where this infection comes from. We just don’t know and it’s very early,” Marshall said.

“Our primary concern right now is to quarantine anyone who may have come into contact with this person as soon as possible.”

Mr Marshall said Modbury Hospital’s emergency department remained closed while a risk assessment was being carried out and would open gradually when it was safe to do so.

Some employees have been quarantined.

The Prime Minister said Elizabeth Vale Primary School would also reopen on Tuesday after closing on Monday.

The school was closed as a precaution while it was checked that the elderly man’s grandson was not present during the two-week holiday period.

Mr Marshall said that despite serious concerns about the new case, people should not panic.

“We are not considering a lockdown at this stage. We don’t want a lockdown if we can avoid it.’

SA Health identified three potential exposure sites, including an OPSM store in Golden Grove, a food warehouse in Hindmarsh and Commonwealth Bank in Modbury.

Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said officials assumed the man had the Delta variant of the disease, although that has yet to be confirmed.

She said the Delta species were known to “spread like wildfire.”

Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said it is very likely that South Australians will be hit by higher COVID-19 restrictions on Monday, but exactly what they would be has yet to be determined.

He said there were no expected changes to boundary rules with people from Victoria, NSW and the ACT currently barred from entering the state.

Advertisement

.