A woman had five fingers amputated after contracting an infection of a FISH SPA

Victoria Curthoys, of Perth, Australia, was cut off half a toe after contracting an infection more than a decade ago.

A property manager says he needed to amputate the five toes of his right foot after contracting an infection from a fish spa in Thailand.

Victoria Curthoys, of Perth, Australia, was cut off half a toe after contracting an infection more than a decade ago.

And surgeons amputated her other fingers after she unknowingly caught shewanella at the spa in 2010, where freshwater fish feed on any dead skin.

Doctors in Australia took two years to diagnose it with the waterborne virus, which left her struggling with recurrent fevers and diseases.

He rotted the rest of his big toe after seeping through his previous surgical wounds, forcing doctors to amputate him in 2012.

The pressure of walking on his smaller fingers left Miss Curthoys with ulcers that hid more infections. All of his toes were amputated for the next five years.

Victoria Curthoys, of Perth, Australia, was cut off half a toe after contracting an infection more than a decade ago.

Victoria Curthoys, of Perth, Australia, was cut off half a toe after contracting an infection more than a decade ago.

Speaking of her terrible experience, the 29-year-old said: "When I was in Thailand, I decided to use a fish spa.

"I did not think about it because I saw the owner set up the system and it seemed very clean, but how wrong he was."

Miss Curthoys revealed that she had half her big toe amputated when she was only 17 years old, after she caught her in a glass.

It did not cause any pain, so he did not realize he was there for a while, but by then it was too late since an infection had spread to his bone.

The doctors were forced to amputate half the big toe of the property manager. The rest was eliminated in 2012, two years after his trip to Thailand.

She said: "I ended up having another bone infection in my big toe and it took me doctors over a year to find out what kind of mistake I had.

"By the time they realized what it was, all the bone of my finger had been eaten and I had been suffering from disease all the time.

"They finally decided to completely remove the big toe." I felt relieved to be able to return to my life without being sick all the time.

And surgeons amputated her other fingers after she unknowingly caught shewanella from the spa in 2010, where freshwater fish feed on any dead skin (in the photo, her right foot now)

And surgeons amputated her other fingers after she unknowingly caught shewanella from the spa in 2010, where freshwater fish feed on any dead skin (in the photo, her right foot now)

And surgeons amputated her other fingers after she unknowingly caught shewanella from the spa in 2010, where freshwater fish feed on any dead skin (in the photo, her right foot now)

Miss Curthoys added: "One year of walking without a big toe caused ulcers on the second toe due to the pressure exerted on it.

"I had a rough callus on top, but I did not know that under that there was another furious infection." This time, the doctors took the second finger and left me with three fingers.

"I was healthy for another two years, I thought I was very lucky to have my foot and continue with my life, but then I started to get sick again."

He said that he would vomit every morning and that he would have a fever constantly, but doctors could not find signs of infection.

Miss Curthoys added: "So the doctors took it away for a long time and they told me that everything was in my head.

The doctors were forced to amputate half the big toe of the property manager when he was 17 years old. The rest was removed in 2012, two years after his trip to a fish spa in Thailand (stock)

The doctors were forced to amputate half the big toe of the property manager when he was 17 years old. The rest was removed in 2012, two years after his trip to a fish spa in Thailand (stock)

The doctors were forced to amputate half the big toe of the property manager when he was 17 years old. The rest was removed in 2012, two years after his trip to a fish spa in Thailand (stock)

WHAT IS SHEWANELLA INFECTION?

Shewanella is a type of bacteria found anywhere in the environment but rarely causes infection in humans.

More often they are found in water, both fresh and salt water, and in food and wastewater.

Although they are usually harmless, if they enter the body they can cause ear infections, cellulitis, abscesses or infect existing wounds.

A 2013 review of 16 known cases of shewanella infection in humans found that 13% of people infected with the bacterium died.

There are at least 30 species of the bacteria, which were originally found in butter in 1931, and can live in water, dairy products, oil and animal carcasses.

Bacteria usually enter the body through broken skin or the digestive tract.

Most cases occur in hot climates, but can occur anywhere: the 2013 investigation found multiple infections in Denmark, South Korea, South Africa, USA. UU., Taiwan, Belgium and India.

Infections can usually be treated with common antibiotics, but may be resistant to penicillin in some cases.

Source: American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene

"It was not until my podiatrist ordered blood samples that they realized that he did have another bone infection and that he had a very high white blood cell count." That's why I felt so bad. "

Surgeons amputated his third and fourth toes in November 2016, but left his big toe.

She said: Because the little toe was the only one left, I kept hitting it and when I walked, and all the pressure was extended to the little finger.

"Last year I noticed that the little toe on my foot did not look very happy and that I had some liquid in the sock, but I could not see any cuts.

"After some blood samples and more x-rays, they discovered another bone infection, so they finally took the last finger in November 2017."

Miss Curthoys stated that one day she could lose her entire right leg if she does not detect an infection, so she has to check her feet every day to detect the presence of pressure points.

Miss Curthoys admitted that she was afraid to show him her right foot for a while, until she understood.

Now he is warning against the use of fish spas, which are already considered controversial, that caused him so much devastation.

Speaking on his feet now, he said: "I can honestly say that my foot has never been as healthy as it is now, now I can press my foot.

"Every once in a while I tend to stumble over the lack of sensitivity and having to get used to not having toes, but I have been very lucky to get up and walk.

"My parents are proud of me and my friends think I'm amazing because I've been through a lot of things.

"But at the end of the day, I've seen people with much worse injuries and life-altering diseases, so I consider myself lucky."

Miss Curthoys added: "I used to be a little worried when I was on the beach or in the pools in case someone saw my foot and I thought" yuck! "

Now he takes regular photos of his feet and posts them on his Instagram account, @ terribly-toeless, to build his own confidence and help others.

.