A California teenager who says she got a living after her evaporation habit had her lung collapse, said she never considered herself a smoker as a result of the terrifying incident.
Simah Herman, 18, was rushed to the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles on August 15 following complaints that she could not breathe properly.
While doctors were amazed at the reasons why, an X-ray of her chest would later show a white haze on the bottom of her lungs.
Her lung doctor, Dr. Kathryn Melamed, thought she might have suffered from pneumonia. Less than 48 hours later, however, her lungs became dangerously inflamed and filled with fluid.
& # 39; I just remember that I felt absolutely … nothing. As if I just couldn't do anything, & Herman said, too ABC & # 39; s Nightline. & # 39; I could not drink water. I couldn't move. I literally just wanted to crawl out of my skin. & # 39;
Scroll down for video
Simah Herman, 18, was rushed to the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles on August 15 following complaints that she could not breathe properly
Herman said: & # 39; It took less than 48 hours for me to get into a drug-induced coma and put a tube in my throat because I could no longer breathe alone. The dangers of vapen are real and this can happen to you. Please don't leave it. & # 39;
After two days in the hospital still unable to breathe, Herman had to be placed on a ventilator and shortly thereafter placed in a medically induced coma.
While the teenager was unconscious, her cousin revealed one of Herman's secrets that helped the family get some answers to a possible cause for their daughter's illness.
& # 39; She said: & # 39; Do you know she smokes every day? & # 39; & # 39; Stacy Herman, Simah Herman's mother, remembered the conversation. & # 39; I said: & # 39; What? What are you talking about? "And she said," She smokes every day. She smokes that vape. "I said," Tell the doctors right now. Tell the doctors right now. & # 39; & # 39;
After five painful days, Herman emerged from her coma, with a fan still pumping oxygen into her failing lungs.
She confessed to her parents that her cousin's admission was true: she easily smoked one vape pod every day, using the device as often as every 10 to 15 minutes.
Herman, who has now decided to become a lawyer against vapen, shared photos of himself in the hospital in a post that has now become viral.
It contains photos & # 39; s by Herman who stops characters with the text & # 39; I want to start a campaign without vapors & # 39; together with a photo of her unconsciousness with a tube in her throat.
& # 39; I asked for a pen and paper, because that was the only way to communicate, & # 39; said Herman. & # 39; And I wrote: & # 39; I want to start a campaign without vapors. & # 39; That was the first thing I did when I opened my eyes. & # 39;
Simah Herman, 18, shared the photos in an Instagram post on August 29 that just under 600,000 times liked. The post contains photos of Herman holding up signs sharing her testimony, along with a photo of her unconsciousness with a tube in her throat
Two weeks ago, the Long Beach resident began to experience breathing problems and had to be placed on a respirator after her lungs failed within 48 hours
Herman said that at the age of 15, she first began to vape and bought cartridges at a smokers' shop, even though she was a minor.
Prior to the custom, Herman had been happy and active and had attended dance classes for years. But the teenager says she noticed a sharp decline in her skills as her evaporation habit increased.
Eventually, she was vaping one nicotine cartridge a day, with the total amount of nicotine in one cartridge equal to that of a pack of cigarettes.
& # 39; I didn't see myself as a smoker. Like, it's just another kind of smoke, & Herman said ABC. & # 39; Because of the vape it doesn't seem like anything. As if you are doing nothing wrong. & # 39;
In the two years since she started steaming, Herman says she lost 50 pounds because she always felt sick. She says she often felt nauseous and dizzy.
Herman said that at the age of 15, she first began to vape and bought cartridges at a smokers' shop, even though she was a minor. Prior to the custom, Herman had been happy and active and had attended dance classes for years. But the teenager says she noticed a sharp decline in her skills as her evaporation habit increased
Herman & # 39; s mother, Stacy (right), has accused Juul and another leading vapen brand of deliberately targeting their products on minors
& # 39; I didn't see myself as a smoker. It's just a different kind of smoke, & Herman said to ABC. & # 39; Because of the vape it doesn't seem like anything. As if you are doing nothing wrong. & # 39;
Doctors were unable to diagnose her for her continuing illness, although she told them she disappeared regularly.
& # 39; I told every doctor I went just because I had such serious problems, & # 39; she said. & # 39; I wanted to make sure … it didn't make things worse, but no doctor ever said, "Maybe you should stop vaping."
Herman & # 39; s mother, Stacy, has accused Juul and another leading vapen brand of deliberately targeting their products on minors.
& # 39; The fact that they put this junk on the market for kids, and they turn into a pink, pretty purple package (sort of) makes me angry & # 39 ;, Stacy said.
She claimed that vapen was not worth the health risk and advised that people talk to their loved ones about the dangers of using the products
& # 39; I am so angry that (Simah) can get this idea because there is nothing wrong with it, because everyone is doing it. … It looks and smells like mango and it looks and smells like bubblegum and her room smells delicious. I can smell the packages. They smell nice. & # 39;
Herman hopes that her story will reach as many members of the public as possible, in an attempt to discourage them from using e-cigarettes and vape.
& # 39; I tried it another time and then again. It just reminds me that you don't need it. Like, it's gonna kill you.
In her original Instagram post, Herman claimed that vapen was not worth the health risk and advised people to talk to their loved ones about the dangers of using the products.
& # 39; I didn't get pneumonia, & # 39; the teenager in the post concluded. & # 39; The signs of respiratory failure by vapors make it look like pneumonia if they had not first found that I would have died. & # 39;
Herman's story comes only a few days before a middle-aged Oregon man's first death was associated with an evaporation product brought into a cannabis pharmacy.
Officials have not determined what made him sick in the first place, whether the product was contaminated or whether they might have added something to the liquid in the device after purchase, Dr. said. Ann Thomas at the Oregon Health Authority.
From last week, 215 possible cases of serious lung disease associated with the use of e-cigarettes were reported by 25 states, according to the CDC.
Herman's story comes just a few days before a middle-aged Oregon man became the second death associated with vape (stock)
Illinois officials on Friday reported what they consider the first death in the nation associated with vapes after the person contracted a serious lung disease.
32 cases of sheep-related disease have been reported in the state of New York, with a & # 39; vast majority & # 39; involving people who vaporize illegal marijuana.
New York officials are focusing their research on an additive that is used in vitamin E black vanilla oils.
A spokeswoman for the state health department said a laboratory & # 39; high levels & # 39; vitamin E acetate has been found in & # 39; almost all & # 39; concerned marijuana monsters.
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news (t) California