A seven-month-old girl died of fentanyl poisoning after her father tried to give her CPR to save her.
A Pennsylvania baby died of acute fentanyl toxicity, authorities announced Tuesday, two months after the death of 7-month-old Zhuri Sade Bogle.
The seven-month-old girl was found unconscious in her bed at 6:44 a.m. in Penn Hills on January 14, 2023.
According to Allegheny County officials: ‘When first responders arrived, they found Zhuri’s father performing CPR. First responders took over, but at 7:05 a.m. she was pronounced deceased at the scene.
‘Detectives learned that Zhuri was in the care of her grandmother and grandmother’s friend the night before. Zhuri was already in bed when her parents came home on the evening of January 13.’
Seven-month-old Babu girl Zhuri Sade Bogle, who died of a fentanyl overdose in January
Zhuri is pictured here with her devastated parents Barrington Bogle Jr. (left) and Mercedes Williams (right)
The announcement comes after the Allegheny County Medical Examiner learned the cause of his death.
Zhuri died at home where, the night before, she was being cared for by her grandmother and a friend of her grandmother’s.
The baby was already in bed when her parents got home on the night of January 13, according to police.
Detectives are now consulting with the Allegheny County District Attorney’s Office on whether or not to press charges, according to the statement.
On a GoFundMe page set up to help Zhuri’s parents, Mercedes Williams and Barrington Bogle Jr., a friend wrote: “This was a totally unexpected and devastating event that forever changed the lives of Zhuri’s parents and other loved ones. “.
‘Burying a loved one is not an easy task; it is a mental, emotional and financial strain. Please support Zhuri’s parents, Mercedes and Barrington, during their time of need and lift them up in prayer, light and love,” she continued.
Several months ago, a San Francisco tech chief nearly suffered a similar fate to Zhuri’s parents, when one of his 10-month-old twins ingested fentanyl while playing.
Ivan Matkovic, 35, was called by his twin sons’ nanny to the George Moscone neighborhood playground, where he found paramedics standing around his son, holding a mask attached to a breathing apparatus over the boy’s mouth. your son.
The babysitter had previously called Matkovic, the founder of the information technology and consulting company Spendgo, to inform him that one of her sons was not breathing properly and that she was going to start administering CPR and calling 911.
When paramedics arrived at the playground and saw that nothing was obstructing baby Sena’s ability to breathe, they administered Narcan, a medication used to reverse the effects of a fentanyl overdose.
Within seconds, according to one account of the incident at the San Francisco Chroniclethe baby began to breathe and cry again.
Subsequently, medical staff at the hospital performed tests that confirmed that baby Matkovic had fentanyl in his system. After the boy was observed for more than six hours, the family was sent home around midnight.
The girl was being cared for the night before her grandmother and her grandmother’s friend found her dead.
The house in which baby Zhuri was pronounced dead on the morning of January 14.
Ivan Matkovic and his 10-month-old son Sena, who accidentally ingested fentanyl at a neighborhood playground on Tuesday.
Naloxone, commonly sold as Narcan, is a life-saving drug that can reverse the effects of an opioid overdose as it occurs. Often, however, drug users take illicit substances alone, which means that there is no one on site to administer the drug.
Los Angeles County is facing the shocking revelation that fentanyl-related deaths have increased 13-fold in just five years, as the synthetic opioid has taken over the street drug trade.
a national study of the Journal of the Missouri State Medical Association indicates that at least 25 young children overdosed on fentanyl, a dozen fatally, between 2003 and 2014. That number is likely to rise significantly as the reality of the fentanyl crisis takes hold. many major US cities
Fentanyl, a synthetic opioid many times more potent than heroin, is often mixed with cocaine and other stimulants and is unknowingly used by recreational drug users.
After the number of US overdose deaths linked to synthetic opioids rose to 70,000 last year, public health officials continue to sound the alarm about the extremely potent nature of the drug.
Overdose deaths have skyrocketed in the past three years, increasing by 50% from 52,000 in 2016 to 106,000 in 2021.
The White House attributes most to fentanyl poisoning or overdoses, saying the drug comes almost entirely from China via Mexico, with a handful of cartels responsible for crossing the border.
Six of 10 fake prescription pills tested by the DEA in 2022 contained fentanyl, with the “vast majority” coming from the Sinaloa and Jalisco cartels.
For years, the synthetic drug had been used as a cheaper and more readily available substitute for heroin. Now, however, it is cut with cocaine, MDMA and also packaged in pills.