Adrian Nandapi, 45 (pictured with family), scratched his leg while lying in a hotel pool and noticed swelling in the area the next day

How a small cut in a Fiji swimming pool changed a family's dream vacation into a nightmare – while father, 45, fights for life with a disease that kills one in four people who get it

  • Adrian Nandapi, 45, scratched his leg during a hotel pool in Fiji
  • The father of Melbourne saw his leg swell the next day, but was not worried
  • A few days later he was in a coma in septic shock and fought for his life
  • Doctors said he had caught Necrotizing Fascitiis and was lucky enough to live

A father continued to fight for his life after contracting a deadly, carnivorous bacterium while on vacation in Fiji.

Adrian Nandapi, 45, scratched his leg while he was in a hotel pool and noticed a swelling in the area the next day.

Once the family was back in Australia, Mr. Nandapi had difficulty walking.

He remembered that he had put his shin on a step by the hotel pool, but he did not think so.

A few days later he was in a coma that was barely alive and in shock.

Scroll down for video

Adrian Nandapi, 45 (pictured with family), scratched his leg while lying in a hotel pool and noticed swelling in the area the next day

Adrian Nandapi, 45 (pictured with family), scratched his leg while lying in a hotel pool and noticed swelling in the area the next day

& # 39; Surgeons have found that I have been suffering from Necrotizing Fascitiis, a proven fatal bacterial infection & # 39 ;, he wrote

& # 39; Surgeons have found that I have been suffering from Necrotizing Fascitiis, a proven fatal bacterial infection & # 39 ;, he wrote

& # 39; Surgeons have found that I have been suffering from Necrotizing Fascitiis, a proven fatal bacterial infection & # 39 ;, he wrote

Doctors judged that bacteria in the leg had entered his leg, either from the water in the pool, the beach or the garden of the hotel.

Mr. Nandapi shared the shocking experience in a Facebook post.

& # 39; At IC, the (doctors) informed my family that (doctors) and surgeons found that I was suffering from Necrotizing Fascitiis, a proven fatal bacterial infection & # 39 ;, he wrote.

& # 39; This has a high mortality rate with one in four patients who do not survive. (Doctors) did not expect that I would come from ICU. My condition and good health started the fight back. & # 39;

After months of recovery from multiple operations including skin transplants, doctors were able to save the life of Nandapi and his leg.

The scars of his test are clearly visible with the flash-eating bacteria that cause the loss of a large part of his thigh muscle.

& # 39; I live today thanks to the passionate, empathetic and extraordinary professionalism that my family and I have shown through the wonderful medical team at the Northern Hospital in Epping. & # 39; Mr. Nandapi wrote.

After months of recovery from multiple operations including skin transplants, doctors were able to save the life of Nandapi and his leg

After months of recovery from multiple operations including skin transplants, doctors were able to save the life of Nandapi and his leg

After months of recovery from multiple operations including skin transplants, doctors were able to save the life of Nandapi and his leg

. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news (t) Fiji