A man who accuses Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey, 61, of sexually assaulting him in the 1980s when he was 14, cannot go to court anonymously, a judge ruled Monday.
US District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan in Manhattan refused to allow the man to act alone as a “CD” in a lawsuit filed in New York State Court in September and later moved to federal court.
The man, now 52 years old and living on the East Coast, had met Spacey in 1983 in the actor’s acting class in suburban New York before the alleged abuse, according to the lawsuit claiming more than $ 40 million in damages.
A judge has ruled that a man who says he was sexually assaulted by Kevin Spacey when he was 14 years old cannot proceed unless he reveals his identity.
Kaplan said CD’s privacy interest does not outweigh the suspicion of open court proceedings and the downside to Spacey’s defense that would occur if he could act anonymously.
Individuals with information that Spacey could support would also not know to come forward, the judge added.
CD had spoken to an unknown number of people about his claims against Spacey since the 1990s and apparently collaborated on an article in the New York magazine that appeared on an online website, Vulture, in November 2017, Kaplan said.
He said “the evidence suggests that CD knowingly and repeatedly risked one of these individuals at some point revealing their true identity in a way that would bring that identity to wide public attention.”
CD claims that Spacey, pictured downtown in 1989, invited him into his apartment when he was 14 in 1983. American actors William Fichtner, seen left, and Matt Dillon, right
Kaplan noted that CD has also recruited his co-prosecutor, Anthony Rapp, to the lawsuit, which has appeared in Rent on Broadway and in Star Trek: Discovery on television. The lawsuit said the older actor was making a sexual foray into a teenage Rapp at an 1980s party.
When Rapp first spoke publicly about his claim in 2017, others also went public and Spacey’s then-celebrated career was abruptly halted. At the time, Spacey issued a statement saying he did not remember the meeting, but apologized.
The judge said CD’s attorneys claim that using their client’s name would cause post-traumatic stress disorder and that the anxiety, nightmares, and depression associated with it is a consequence that is unlikely to be prevented as the case progresses and CD is eventually forced to testify publicly. .
The man alleges that Spacey tried to rape him during their last meeting, with CD running away from his apartment when he was only 14 years old.
He gave lawyers ten days to reveal the name of the CD if he continued making the claims.
In a letter to the judge in early March, attorney Peter Saghir said that CD “ feels extreme fear and psychological distress at even the thought that he should proceed in public ” and had reluctantly decided to withdraw his claims if Kaplan ordered him to act in public. continue publicly.
Saghir and other lawyers for CD did not return requests for comment on Monday. Nor are lawyers for Spacey, who won an Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in American Beauty, a 1999 film in which he played a frustrated suburban father who has a lust for his daughter’s best friend.
If CD drops his claims, he wouldn’t be the first to do so. Two years ago, a man who said Spacey groped him at a Nantucket bar in 2016 dropped his lawsuit.
Meanwhile, investigators in England have not yet said whether they will file a criminal charge against Spacey in connection with allegations made against him there for events alleged to have occurred between 1996 and 2013.
If CD drops his claims, he wouldn’t be the first to do so. Two years ago, a man who said Spacey groped him in a Nantucket bar in 2016, pictured here together, dropped his lawsuit
Spacey had been one of Hollywood’s biggest stars but faced a scandal after alleging that he sexually assaulted the then 14-year-old Star Trek actor Antony Rapp.
It led to accusations from other men about his behavior, but no one has ever reached court and has been denied.
Rapp’s public comments about him prompted Spacey to come out as gay in 2017.
He said he did not remember such a meeting with Rapp, but apologized if the charges were true.
Last year, he likened his fall from grace to the coronavirus pandemic and complained about the loss of his job following the allegations.
Spacey described his “ painful ” journey three years after he was accused of assault by a string of men and said he could relate to workers laid off during the spread of Covid-19.
Last year, Spacey complained about his treatment over allegations of sexual assault that meant ‘my job, many of my relationships were all gone within hours’.
Commenting for an interview for the Bits & Pretzels podcast, he said, “ I don’t think it will come as a surprise to anyone to say that my world changed completely in the fall of 2017.
“My job, many of my relationships, my position in my own industry were all gone within hours.”
Not only was he fired from the Netflix hit House Of Cards, he was also removed from the finished film All The Money In The World, which was rerecorded with actor Christopher Plummer in his role.
The actor, who has not appeared in a professional film or series since the allegations were made, said: ‘I don’t often like to tell people that I can relate to their situation because I think it is the experience they have. have undermined. that is their own unique and very personal experience. ‘
Spacey added, ‘But in this case, I feel like I can relate to what it feels like to make your world suddenly stop.
And while we may have found ourselves in similar situations, albeit for very different reasons and circumstances, I still believe some emotional struggles are broadly the same.
“And so I have empathy for what it feels like to suddenly hear that you can’t go back to work or that you might lose your job and that it’s a situation that you have absolutely no control over.”
Spacey has been largely silent since the scandal, except for a few YouTube videos every year