Find the latest breaking news and information on the top stories, science, business, entertainment, politics, and more.

8 reported dead after 2 suspected smuggling boats collide on Black’s Beach in San Diego

At least eight people were killed when two smuggling boats crashed on Black’s Beach in the Torrey Pines area Saturday night, with at least one of the boats reportedly capsized, authorities said.

Few details were released early Sunday, but San Diego police reported eight bodies of water were recovered off La Jolla Farms Road, south of Torrey Pines Gliderport. Thick fog hampered search efforts overnight, but San Diego Fire and Coast Guard helicopters and a Coast Guard patrol boat were expected to comb the area for additional victims early Sunday.

“We couldn’t get any helicopter up. We had boats in the water but first light once all conditions clear we will have the Coast Guard here and the San Diego Fire and Rescue Department and lifeguards doing a joint search of the water for possible victims left,” Daniel Eddy, deputy chief of operations for the San Diego Fire and Rescue Department, told OnScene TV.

Eddy said he didn’t know how many people made it to shore or how many victims had been found “because it keeps changing on us.”

He said there was a debris field 800 yards long at Black’s Beach. black beach it is jointly owned by the city of San Diego and the state. The stretch of sand is also known as Torrey Pines City Beach and Torrey Pines State Beach.

“We tried to launch helicopters from both the San Diego Fire Department and the Coast Guard, but due to the conditions, they couldn’t get up,” Eddy said. “The Coast Guard finally got up with their helicopter, but due to the foggy conditions in the area, it was difficult for their (forward-looking thermal imaging cameras) to get through to see anything in the water.

“We hope that with first light we will have better conditions for everyone to go out.”

He said a Coast Guard frigate was being deployed to the area. City and state lifeguards, San Diego police and Customs and Border Protection officers also responded.

San Diego police learned of the incident shortly after 11:30 p.m. when a woman called 911 to report that she had come from Mexico on a boat and that one of the boats had capsized, police officer Sarah Foster said. . The woman told dispatchers that nine to 10 people could be in the water from the capsized boat.

According to the caller, eight people who were on the boat she was on washed ashore, Foster said.

Police and lifeguards responded and Border Patrol was notified of the call, he said.

A Border Patrol spokesman said he had no information about the incident and said he did not know of anyone detained at the scene.