Habits are generally formed from the early stages in our life till we grow old. Forming habits, most of them anyway, usually start in the four corners of our home. And forming a healthy eating habit that can last a long run in our life usually starts in the place where we first learn to eat; our home. It is always within the home that we learned all our firsts. Living the lifestyle that we want to have for the rest of our lives cannot be simply picked up from anywhere, the home has always been the greatest factor of this.
Although the outside world also has a big share in forming what we will be in the future, everything usually still ends up with the family and our home. That is basically the reason why the family and our home has a great role to play in having a healthy life that we can live for the years to come. The choice of the right food to eat will also be more enhanced with the choices that are offered to us at home.
And even though a lot of studies are showing how the food we eat directly affects or contributes to different health risks and conditions, taking control of our wellness and health will always begin and will always be strengthened in our home.
READ MORE: Hair Color Ideas for Morena Skin
So it is in this light that the following steps in choosing the healthy food for our family can be well acknowledged and understood for the purpose of incorporating a healthy eating and a healthy living pattern which will eventually become a habit in the future.
- It would help a lot if you identify all the health-related risks that your family may already be gearing or eating toward. This means that you have to check on the health history of the family members, whether they have a history of any heart disease, high cholesterol and diabetes, obesity, or hypertension which can all place the family members at risk if you don’t know what food should be for them. Once you have an idea about all this, it would be easier to plan and prepare every meal for them.
- When doing grocery shopping, learn to read labels on the food that you will buy. Remember that food products that contain low or no fats at all, low on sugar and salt, and low in cholesterol are the foods that are of quality. Learn also to incorporate simplistic food. These are foods in their natural and fresh form. Buying fresh veggies and fruits are the greatest way to choose healthy foods for your family. You don’t need to have them cooked and they can easily be eaten in their healthy natural form. Serving raw and fresh veggie salads or fresh cut fruits for dessert is definitely a great way to give the family members their daily needed nutrients.
- Opt to buy the leaner cuts of meat or white meat poultry products. These are definitely less fatty and can be better sources of protein. Serving your usual ground-beef meal, for instance, with ground chicken or turkey or even veal will be healthier and at the same time giving a variety. It will also be wise to add non-animal proteins to your usual diet. These include soy products, beans, and nuts; they are low in fat and definitely much better in all ways for the body’s health.
- Choose to serve more whole grain products in your meal. You can do this by changing your white bread to whole grain one, by eating more on whole grain cereals and brown rice for dinner. This will definitely create strong and healthy bones. Low-fat or skim milk is a lot better for the body, real cheeses and definitely not those processed ones which are higher in fat content. This also means that you have to take a trip to the deli counter every time you go grocery shopping.
- Instead of always frying, why don’t you try baking, grilling, or broiling your fave foods and spice them up for additional palatability? This can also be a fun way to make up and originally create new recipes that your family will surely enjoy. Enough of deep frying your foods. Also, it would be wise to cut on salt.
- Give particular attention to your sweet tooth cravings. Try to moderate and discipline it for a change. Since each one of us has a sweet tooth to pay attention to, we don’t necessarily have to give in to unhealthy sweets, right?
- Finally, remember that it is not necessary to always pile your plate with the highest food you could possibly have. It is suggested that we use a smaller plate and to properly portion the meals that are being served to us.
So maybe during any occasion such as Raksha Bandhan, instead of getting your siblings some over the top gift, send rakhi to kolkata and shop for healthy food item alternatives.