If you’re struggling to find the perfect, yet affordable (think under $100/ £ (opens in a new tab)100 ) gift for family, friends, and kids, let me point you to one of your favorites: Amazon’s Kindle Paperwhite e-reader. This season of Black Friday sales has generated savings of up to 45% on this purpose-built digital reading device (in fact, these are some of the best deals ever). Honestly, there are a lot of good reasons to stick one of these in someone’s stockings.
First, though, let’s find some of the best Black Friday Kindle deals available right now.
The best Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Black Friday deals in the US
The best Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Black Friday deals in the UK
Let me start by saying that I’ve been using Amazon’s Kindle e-readers since the second edition (it had nice physical buttons on the side to turn pages). I’ve had multiple Kindles since then, and my current one has been in my hands for at least four years. In other words, I am a user and a fan.
None of that makes my observations any less valid. If anything, I think it adds credence to all the reasons why I think the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite hits that sweet spot between affordability and delight that makes it a near-perfect Black Friday Deals buy.
In a world where every wearable device seeks to do everything possible, where watches take our blood pressure and smartphones can detect a car accident, the Amazon Kindle line of e-readers does exactly one thing: they’re designed to read.
That’s a bit of a no-brainer, but it means that every improvement since the first Kindles has been to improve the reading experience and pretty much nothing else. Paperwhite’s 300ppi display is designed for lettering and reading clarity. Plus, it’s called “Paperwhite” because the E Ink display has been refined to deliver a background that’s as close to white as possible on an e-ink display (you can of course read in dark mode as well, which puts text “white” on a black background).
8 GB of storage space may not sound like much, but the files on the e-reader are incredibly small. You can fit thousands of books and magazines—even black-and-white graphic novels—on a single Kindle Paperwhite. Once again, the system is designed for reading and you will never need more space for, say, video or photo files.
Easy to use
Amazon Kindles are generally simple devices. Almost the entire face is made up of a 6.7-inch screen. There is only one button on the bottom edge to turn on and sleep. A touch screen means that the gesture you used to turn the pages of physical books works just as well on a Kindle Paperwhite.
There are numerous on-screen controls to enhance and adjust your reading experience, including reducing and enlarging the font size with a pinch-and-zoom gesture (what’s easier than that?) and a slider to turn the light up and down. background.
Basically, you can hand a Kindle Paperwhite to even the most tech-averse person and they’ll figure out how to use it in no time.
Spend five minutes reading on your iPhone, iPad, or Galaxy S22 and you’ll be interrupted at least a few times by a notification or even a popup on, say, the web page you’re trying to dig into that long read. .
There are no such interruptions on a Kindle Paperwhite. You can read for hours without a single text or alert, save the person next to you who gently snaps you out of your reading trance.
light and portable
Fun fact: Although the Kindle Paperwhite is considerably larger than Apple’s iPhone 14 Pro, it weighs a gram less (205g vs. 206g). It’s also so slim (just 8.1mm) that the Kindle Paperwhite can fit in any bag, coat pocket, or even your back pocket.
I usually carry mine everywhere in my backpack. And when there’s no internet or cell service, I can pull out my Kindle, which doesn’t need an internet connection unless I’m looking for or downloading a book, and start reading.
While the Kindle has a glass-covered screen, it’s not prone to breakage. I dropped and even dropped my Kindle and the screen barely has a scratch on it. The case is also virtually drop proof.
Better yet, all of these sale Kindle Paperwhites are waterproof, making them the perfect companions for the beach and pool.
Incredible battery life
I challenge you to find another category of device that can offer weeks of battery life per charge. The Kindle Paperwhite can last up to 10 weeks on a single charge. Long-term use of the built-in light will reduce that time, but it’s still more than fair to expect at least a few weeks of reading per charge.
The point here is that when you want to read, the Kindle is almost always ready, which is one of my favorite things about the device.
Do you remember the libraries? I haven’t gotten into one in years, but I use my local library all the time. In the US, we have the Libby app, which allows you to log into your local library and then browse eBooks just like you would physical books.
This is how I read everything, even best sellers, for free on my Kindle Paperwhite. However, there is a caveat here. Just like a normal library book, your loan will expire after 14 days. The good news is that if you don’t close the book, you can keep reading until you’re done.
Obviously, there are plenty of other wearable deals in our Black Friday deals roundup. Check it out before they’re all gone.
More Black Friday deals in the US
- Amazon: 50% off TVs, Apple Watch, clothes, vacuum cleaners and toys (opens in a new tab)
- Apple AirPods 2: on sale for $234 on Amazon (opens in a new tab)
- Best Buy: up to $700 off TVs, laptops, appliances and more (opens in a new tab)
- Cheap TVs: $79.99 Smart TVs from Best Buy (opens in a new tab)
- Christmas decoration: up to 54% off trees, garlands and wreaths (opens in a new tab)
- Dell: laptops starting at $299.99 (opens in a new tab)
- Gift ideas: 40% off holiday gifts for the Amazon family (opens in a new tab)
- House deposit: 50% discount on tools, large appliances and Christmas decorations (opens in a new tab)
- Lowe’s: up to $750 off appliances, holiday decorations and tools (opens in a new tab)
- Cram: 70% discount on Christmas decorations, furniture and Christmas trees (opens in a new tab)
- Nectar: save up to $500 on mattresses, plus $499 in free gifts (opens in a new tab)
- Nordstrom: up to 50% off UGG, makeup, Nike, jewelry and more (opens in a new tab)
- Samsung: up to $2,500 televisions, major appliances and smart watches (opens in a new tab)
- Objective: 45% discount on toys, Christmas decorations, coffee makers and more (opens in a new tab)
- Toys: up to 50% off best selling toys at Walmart (opens in a new tab)
- Verizon: get free iPhone 14 Pro with trade-in (opens in a new tab)
- walmart: toys, TVs, vacuum cleaners and laptops starting at $19.99 (opens in a new tab)
- fair path: up to 80% off sofas, rugs and more, plus free shipping (opens in a new tab)
More UK Black Friday deals
- Amazon: up to 60% off TVs, laptops and more (opens in a new tab)
- adidas: up to 50% discount on shoes and clothing (opens in a new tab)
- OA: deals on appliances, TVs, laptops and more (opens in a new tab)
- Argus: cheap tvs, headphones and tools (opens in a new tab)
- Boots: fragrances and makeup at half price (opens in a new tab)
- Cash register: Up to £1,000 off TVs, laptops and PCs (opens in a new tab)
- curries: 40% discount on TVs, laptops and vacuum cleaners (opens in a new tab)
- Dell: Up to 45% discount on laptops and desktops (opens in a new tab)
- Dyson– Save £100 on the Dyson Cyclone V10 (opens in a new tab)
- E: get a 200GB data SIM for £23 per month (opens in a new tab)
- Play: PlayStation and Xbox games from £4.99 (opens in a new tab)
- john lewis: up to £400 off TVs and appliances (opens in a new tab)
- ninja: save up to £90 on fryers and pans (opens in a new tab)
- reebok: up to 50% discount on clothing and sports shoes (opens in a new tab)
- samsung: up to £250 off phones and tablets (opens in a new tab)
- Shark: Up to £220 off cordless vacuum cleaners (opens in a new tab)
- Very: deals on TVs, Lego and fashion (opens in a new tab)
- Virgin: broadband deals from £25 per month (opens in a new tab)
- fair way: offers on furniture, lighting and mattresses (opens in a new tab)