WhatsNew2Day
Latest News And Breaking Headlines

12-year-old boy hospitalized with severe burns from TikTok ‘woosh bottle experiment’

Firefighters warn of viral ‘woosh bottle experiment’ on TikTok after 12-year-old boy hospitalized with severe burns

  • East Haven Fire Department were called to help a 12-year-old boy who ended up at Bridgeport Hospital Burn Center
  • He had tried the “woosh bottle experiment” he did on TikTok. found
  • It involves swirling isopropyl alcohol in a large water bottle the size of a water cooler, pouring out the alcohol and dropping a lit match into it
  • That creates a big blue flame and a ‘woosh’ sound
  • The experiment can be performed by professionals in a controlled setting
  • TikTok said it is working to remove videos of the experiment as firefighters warn parents



<!–

<!–

<!–<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

A Connecticut child has been hospitalized with severe burns after attempting a popular TikTok challenge.

The East Haven Fire Department is warning residents of the dangers of the ‘whoosh bottle experiment’ after a 12-year-old boy in the area tried to make it at home and ended up at Bridgeport Hospital Burn Center, police said. patch.

The experiment involves swirling isopropyl alcohol in a large water bottle the size of a water cooler, pouring the alcohol out, then dropping a lit match into it — creating a large blue flame and a “woosh” sound.

The East Haven Fire Department were called to help a 12-year-old boy who ended up in Bridgeport Hospital's Burn Center.  He had tried the 'woosh bottle experiment' he found on TikTok (photo from another TikTok user's video)

The East Haven Fire Department were called to help a 12-year-old boy who ended up in Bridgeport Hospital’s Burn Center. He had tried the ‘woosh bottle experiment’ he found on TikTok (photo from another TikTok user’s video)

According to the New Haven Register, firefighters responded to the call on Tuesday night and the child was first taken to Yale Children’s Hospital in New Haven and then transferred to Bridgeport Hospital Burn Center.

The fire department learned that the child, who has not been identified, had heard of the ‘woosh bottle experiment’ on TikTok.

Fire Chief Matt Marcarelli said: “This could easily have resulted in both a fatality and a major fire in the house. Alcohol is a volatile flammable liquid and can act as an accelerator.’

Fire Marshal Charles Miller of East Haven also warned parents to “take a few minutes to talk to your children about the dangers of playing with flammable liquids and matches and monitor what they’re watching.” This experiment, if performed incorrectly, can cause severe burns that can leave a person with permanent scars.”

It involves swirling isopropyl alcohol in a large water bottle the size of a water cooler, pouring out the alcohol and dropping a lit match into it

It involves swirling isopropyl alcohol in a large water bottle the size of a water cooler, pouring out the alcohol and dropping a lit match into it

That creates a big blue flame and a 'woosh' sound

That creates a big blue flame and a 'woosh' sound

It involves swirling isopropyl alcohol in a large water bottle the size of a water cooler, pouring out the alcohol, then dropping a lit match into it. That creates a big blue flame and a ‘woosh’ sound (photos from video by another TikTok user)

The experiment can be performed by professionals in a controlled setting (photo from video from another TikTok user)

The experiment can be performed by professionals in a controlled setting (photo from video from another TikTok user)

The experiment can be performed by professionals in a controlled setting (photo from video from another TikTok user)

The experiment is intended to show combustion and is sometimes performed by teachers in a classroom.

Several videos of scientists and educators performing the stunt can be found on YouTube and now TikTok.

After swirling the alcohol around the inside of the bottle, coating the inside, a flame is added to the top.

The fire fills a ring around the inside of the bottle and moves slowly from top to bottom. Once it reaches the bottom, it will blink and flicker for a moment before going out.

But playing with fire and flammable liquids can be quite dangerous, and TikTok is now in the process of removing videos of the experiment.

“We understand that this school science experiment can be conducted safely with the proper precautions, but videos without visible security measures will be removed from our platform,” a spokesperson said.

“We’re also working on adding warning labels to videos that run in a controlled environment, although they’re not eligible for recommendation in people’s For You feeds.”

Advertisement

.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More